OP
L

lo sarg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some really nice looking LR my friend. I really like that shelf piece a lot! You could make a real nice overhang with that.

Kind of hard for me to see the coral with it mostly closed up. Maybe some Zoas and Palys?

I do not see a surgeonfish tang in the pic. Is it really small? Can you get a closer view of it, please?
How would you recommend making an overhang? *SUPER NEW SORRY*

And I think he's a Surgeonfish.... He's kinda hidden but he's in the center of the pic kinda like kissing the glass.. I just added 2 photos he's a fast booger who doesn't stop swimming so he's hard to get a pic of!

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 4.12.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 4.12.49 PM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome5.jpg

Start with the easy ones such as zoa, mushroom, leathers and kenyi tree or xenia

Dr.Xipoles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a canopy or able to build one, i would recommend the chinese brand leds Viparspectra. I know they get a bad rap, but i have them on my frag tank and display and they work great. They have heat sinks so they dont over heat, good quiet fans, and a timer. I took out the lenses to get a more even spread. For the price they are better than AI primes and hydras HDs which i had before and were always a headache to connect with. The par output is nice and flat which i value over all the bells and whistles the new fancy stuff has.

As for corals, if you want something to fill up the tank and east to grow, i recommend garf creeping xenia. I have a forest of it on my bare bottom tank.

Your tank looks really nice btw, great rock placement.

reef4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
i have a pair of current ic led and work pretty good for the price I paid for them.

OP
OP
L

lo sarg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the time of this post- a lot of my fish have died. Ive noticed my damsels are hogging all of the food and I'm thinking i need to get rid of them. I had my water tested and it came back with good levels. All I have left are Shrimp, 3 Damsels and the hawkfish...
We lost:
Striped surgeonfish
Clown Fish
Yellow Tang
mini Lionfish

Any other reasons we are loosing so many fish? I am scared to get any new ones.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have incredibly poor oxygen levels, I would say Flukes, Ich, or Marine Velvet have all but wiped you out. Read all you can about them here on R2R and see whether anything seems to apply to the situation you just went through. Damsels are fairly hardy— but they could be next, and could certainly carry the problem forward to any new fish. You may have to treat and go fallow. Read the threads and you will understand. Best wishes!

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R! You have a good lighting budget. I would recommend going with something that you can add to later in case you decide you want to keep more light demanding corals.

Yvonne Wong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you have the fish before they die? If you notice white spots on the tangs and took a while before they die, you may have ich. If the fish die overnight and they were gasping for air, you may have marine velvet. If you can catch the remaining fish, put them in a separate quarantine tank and observe. Let the main tank go without fish for at least 2 months. If the fishes that die have parasites, they will die off without a host. Sorry to hear what you are going through.

Yvonne Wong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 months of no fish in your main tank, decide if you still want to keep the damsels. I always treat new fish with dips called safety stop. Use 1 gallon of your existing tank water and add the formalin in a bucket. Put an air stone in the water and put your new fish in bucket for 45 min. Get another gallon of your existing tank water and add the methylene blue in a separate bucket. Put the air stone in the water and transfer your fish in new bucket for an additional 45 minutes. Then depending how the fish do in the treatments I will either add the fish in the main tank or observe the fish in a quarantine tank. Good luck!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back