HiBRiD's Fluval Evo 13.5

waterwatereverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely looking tank! When you bolted those strip lights on before you got your Prime, did you have to drill the hood?

OP
OP
H

HiBRiD109

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used a spin stream before ?
No I havent, it was an option I looked at when I was planning my setup but I heard that sometimes they can be noisy or can get stuck. I liked the VCA RFG because there are no moving parts and its more random then the Spin Stream which just seems like a oscillation like for a fan but with flow.

OP
OP
H

HiBRiD109

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds a good option, is it easy to drill neatly? It's aluminium isn't it?
Nope, its plastic. Just make sure you have it where you want the lights, notch where the bolts will go, and drill. You may want to make a notch or just go slow as the drill bit may walk (i'm not sure on your drill experience/handiness level).

waterwatereverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, its plastic. Just make sure you have it where you want the lights, notch where the bolts will go, and drill. You may want to make a notch or just go slow as the drill bit may walk (i'm not sure on your drill experience/handiness level).
Great, thanks :)

OP
OP
H

HiBRiD109

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 month update

Added a Rainbow Monti and an Acro. I'm letting them acclimate and will move them up after some time.

I noticed my corals are still pretty faded even with the AI Prime. I'm going to try feeding once a day to see if I can get some nitrates. I still register no trace for PO4 and NO3. Im sure there is some in there but the algae is taking it up. Im going to shoot for 2-5ppm for nitrates. I'm sure my clown will be much happier. I only feed frozen ( LRS nano frenzy) with Reef Chili every other day.

I started dosing kalkwasser (1/2 tsp per gallon) in my ATO to try to get more stability as i was losing .2 dkh a day and with weekly water changes it was fluctuating 1.5 dkh.

The acro I got a few months ago is slowly recovering. Its still white but there are polys extending. Hopefully with my alk at 9 dkh and maybe a little bit of nitrates it will recover a little faster.

20190828_222930.png
20190828_222919.png
20190828_222951.jpg

OP
OP
H

HiBRiD109

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 Month update

I unfortunately lost my frostbite clown, he jumped through my 1/2" netting and was found the next morning. Really sucks as he was my favorite fish I had, full of personality and my first sw fish. I ordered some BRS 1/4" netting for my next clown I will get in the future. There is a swap coming here in Iowa in 2 weeks so maybe i'll find another frostbite or maybe even a pair. My blenny will have to just be ok with the cleaner shrimp for now.

I moved some coral around to make some room and get some better lighting. The sps are doing well. My zoas are not thriving so I will continue to do more research and observe. They are open but just not growing new heads.

Added the smallest emerald crab the lfs had on hand. I am really glad I did as he's been destroying all my hair algae. I will swap him out once he larger as it seems once they get so big they may eat coral, fish, and my cleaner.

Started feeding more often and now i'm getting nitrates of about 5ppm and the hammers have colored up nicely. Hopefully the goniopora does as well as I moved it up some.

20191001_205304.jpg

20191001_205313.jpg

20191001_205502.jpg

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like your tank is coming along nicely. sorry to hear ur about your frostbite clown. i keep my netting on all the time on this particular tank except during feeding and water change. I noticed your water level is high as mine which I assumed is due to the Intank 1st filter basket. This makes jumping fish just more likely imo.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back