Hidden Threats - Real and Perceived (Pathogenic Bacteria)

The true test will be when I start dosing CaNO3 to raise nitrate a bit. In the past, it was when I had moderate nitrate dosing and had recession that alerted me to the issues. At some point, I will re-setup my Masterflex to dose 8 ml/day which will bring up NO3 by 0.5 ppm/day.

I have noticed a bit of cyano over the last couple of days which tells me my PO4 is out of balance (too high) compared to my NO3.

Dennis
 
Ok, it has been a few days of dosing CaNO3. No issues with my montis. In fact now I have the opposite problem. I only have a small 80 G frag tank, and the caps that were receding before are now growing like mad. Really tight on space, but I can't bring myself to frag them. Nor do I have room for more frags.

Anyway this probably concludes this montipora specific episode. The changes I made that I think helped were:
  1. Add a 25 W UV.
  2. Cut back on Iron additions.
  3. Dosed Eco-Balance (not sure about this one, but it does claim to inhibit Vibrio).
I plan on leaving the UV online. ORP pre UV was 250 - 275 mv, post UV it is 425 - 475 mv. I also plan on dosing Eco-Balance occasionally and will be much more measured in my iron additions.

Dennis
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 12.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new