Hidings Anemones

TeaBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two anemones (BTA) and both when first placed into the tank started nice an open. Two weeks later they were about half way down the rock. After a couple months they move to a dark corner over by my Nero 5 wave maker. With the current there they never fully open up and really don't get a whole lot of light. This happened with my first one (small one), then about 6 months later when I bought my large one it did the same thing. Little one has been in the tank for 9 months, big one for 3.
Any ideas if they are moving there for increased flow, less light, or something else.
Pictures attached were taken in the morning before work. They generally open a little more but not a whole lot and the last picture I used a flashlight to take a better look at it.
Lights: AI Prime 16 HD
Chemistry: Nothing abnormal but I will do a full set of tests again this weekend to measure everything.
Equipment: Standard with ATO, Skimmer, Nero5 wavemaker.
Size: 35gal

Thanks for the help!

IMG-3405.jpg
IMG-3404.jpg
IMG-3406.jpg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They appear generally unhappy and not super healthy. There may be something they just don’t like about your tank. Do they perk up after a water change? What if you shut off the pump for a while? Do you run any carbon?

OP
OP
T

TeaBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No carbon dosing.
No change after water changes.
Have not tried to turn off pump as I like the water movement for the health of the rest of the tank. Maybe I will try moving the pump to cause that zone to be more low flow to see if it is flow connected.

OP
OP
T

TeaBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awkward position so cannot spot feed them there. When they were in the open I would but now they haven’t received any spot feeding for about a month.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to run a full set of tests before the weekend! :) It doesn't take that long and that's one thing off the list then..

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No carbon dosing.
No change after water changes.
Have not tried to turn off pump as I like the water movement for the health of the rest of the tank. Maybe I will try moving the pump to cause that zone to be more low flow to see if it is flow connected.
Not carbon dosing, activated carbon to remove contaminants and possible chemical warfare.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not carbon dosing, activated carbon to remove contaminants and possible chemical warfare.
↑ ↑ ↑ Aye, what @Rtaylor says! Anemones are quite sensitive to water quality and pollutants in general so I'd strongly suggest you get that testing kit out tonight for some piece of mind! :)

OP
OP
T

TeaBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay. Here are the different things I test/track regularly and just did a check of each one so here are the latest numbers.
pH= 8.2
Cal = 460 mg/L
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Alkalinity = 10.9 dKH
Salinity = 1.0258
Temp = 78.0
Phosphate = 0

Thoughts?

OP
OP
T

TeaBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on position: Both BTAs moved now from the back corner by the powerhead, to more central at the edge of a clearing I have in the middle of the tank. Still near the bottom, still closed.

OP
OP
T

TeaBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone see any issues with the water chemistry? Right now the only theory put forth is bad water and I cannot see which part of the water chemistry is off.
Thanks!

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone see any issues with the water chemistry? Right now the only theory put forth is bad water and I cannot see which part of the water chemistry is off.
Thanks!
Phosphate = 0
Nitrate = 0
Anemones need both phos and nitrate.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate = 0
Nitrate = 0

Your tank looks to be too clean. Nems and corals need some of both of these compounds to help feed them.

OP
OP
T

TeaBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate = 0
Nitrate = 0

Your tank looks to be too clean. Nems and corals need some of both of these compounds to help feed them.
Thanks!
Running Skimmer, Bioballs & chemical filtration. Rear sump for equipment with no refugium.
In chemical filtration I am have:
Activated Carbon/Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals
Purigen
Phosguard

Thoughts on what to remove or scale down?

Side note: I have a bunch of hair algae in the tank that I need to do a big removal every 1-2 weeks as it grows quick. I take out roughly 80-90% every time.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Running Skimmer, Bioballs & chemical filtration. Rear sump for equipment with no refugium.
In chemical filtration I am have:
Activated Carbon/Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals
Purigen
Phosguard

Thoughts on what to remove or scale down?

Side note: I have a bunch of hair algae in the tank that I need to do a big removal every 1-2 weeks as it grows quick. I take out roughly 80-90% every time.
I bet that hair alge is sucking up all your nutrients, causing you news to basically starve. What all do you have for a CUC that would help eat that algea?

OP
OP
T

TeaBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet that hair alge is sucking up all your nutrients, causing you news to basically starve. What all do you have for a CUC that would help eat that algea?
I do need to top up my CUC if my LFS ever gets more in but there are currently a couple of each of: turbos (2), trochus, nassarius, and cerith. Also, have some hermits as well. For grazers I have a lawnmower blenny.
Size: 35gal cube

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do need to top up my CUC if my LFS ever gets more in but there are currently a couple of each of: turbos (2), trochus, nassarius, and cerith. Also, have some hermits as well. For grazers I have a lawnmower blenny.
Size: 35gal cube
Dude that cuc is way undersized. That not even enought for my 13.5 gal tank. You may want to look into some of the online vendors. Most either are or will soon have their different holiday sale going. And you can bump those numbers up for cheap. Also keep an eye on your lawnmower blenny. Their not actually good algea controller. As they only eat 1 type and even then only when it's still microscopic. I had one that was doing good for about a year, but then it start loosing weight. I tried buying every kind of algea I could but to not avail and he passed, my wife was really bummed about it as she had named him and everything. So yeah. Good luck

OP
OP
T

TeaBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that cuc is way undersized. That not even enought for my 13.5 gal tank. You may want to look into some of the online vendors. Most either are or will soon have their different holiday sale going. And you can bump those numbers up for cheap. Also keep an eye on your lawnmower blenny. Their not actually good algea controller. As they only eat 1 type and even then only when it's still microscopic. I had one that was doing good for about a year, but then it start loosing weight. I tried buying every kind of algea I could but to not avail and he passed, my wife was really bummed about it as she had named him and everything. So yeah. Good luck
Great. I will bump up my CUC. Any recommendations on what to get that helps with the hair algae?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back