High ALK 14-17 & 20

dKNzt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tested yesterday and got 14.5.. Retested and my Hannah would give out 20.. I thought maybe the battery is wrong so I changed that and the same result came up.. Checked my Reagent and it was expired by 1 month... So I decided to take some water to my LFS and they tested my water and got a 17.2 result.

I figured I do another big water change (50G in my 120G Tank with a 20G High Sump)

I have mixed 2 30G Trash cans with Fritz blue box salt for about 2-2.5 hours and I just tested the new fresh water barrel and my Hannah is still giving me 20.0 ALK

What is the issue?? I don't dose my tank with nothing but some AB+ every other day or so.. I just did a water change prior about 2 weeks ago.

The only issues I am having as far as water params is high Nitrates (Over feeding) and the high ALK. Everything else is okay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dKNzt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if its my Tap Water in my apartment causing this? I'm not sure if the Hannah will accurately test fresh water but yesterday I tried to test the ALK from the sink and it was high.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if its my Tap Water in my apartment causing this? I'm not sure if the Hannah will accurately test fresh water but yesterday I tried to test the ALK from the sink and it was high.
You can get an inexpensive freshwater alk test kit for your tap water (are you filtering the tap through RODI?) or have your LFS test your tap...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the black Friday sales and get an RODI... Will eliminate a lot of problems :)

OP
OP
D

dKNzt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the black Friday sales and get an RODI... Will eliminate a lot of problems :)
I probably will need to get one. I haven't had to use one for 2 years until I guess this new apartment I'm in has crappier water.

Anything I can do until then to lower this down?

OP
OP
D

dKNzt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get an inexpensive freshwater alk test kit for your tap water (are you filtering the tap through RODI?) or have your LFS test your tap...
I am not but I am going to take some fresh water in tomorrow. I'm just trying to find a solution now to fix this issue in the mean time.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably will need to get one. I haven't had to use one for 2 years until I guess this new apartment I'm in has crappier water.

Anything I can do until then to lower this down?
Buy RODI water from your LFS, or at least distilled from the grocery store...
Or, you can add an acid to your new saltwater to lower the alk...

But do remember that rapid parameter swings are often worse than an "abnormal" level. Lower the alk slowly via water changes. The general rule of thumb is to raise or lower by no more than roughly 1 dkh per day.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large water changes with rodi water and a low alkalinity salt is the best bet. Things like acids can lower alkalinity but it is very temporary and is going to swing your alk and pH up and down as you keep adding more to keep it lower
Very true, but he asked for a temporary solution...

OP
OP
D

dKNzt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E
Tap water can have as much alk as actual seawater, so mixing salt mix into that tap water can double the intended alk. :)
Heh know I know :downcast-face-with-sweat: rookie mistake not knowing about ALK in Tap. I bought an ICECAP Rodi system though. Just drilled one of my trashcans for the float valve. I just need to hit up home depot for longer line tubing to run it from my kitchen outside to my patio.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back