Salt mix Tropic Marin pro reef
Testing with Trident (calibrated often)
I’m using TLF Reborn calcium media and mag chips (10%) in the reactor
Vertex calcium reactor
SG: 1.025 (Milwaukee digital)
Alk @ 11.5
Ca @ 600
Mg 1230

My current effuent rate (using kamoer peristaltic pump) is 5ml and the reactor ph between 6.85-6.9 (using carbondoser).
I have about a dozen euphyllias in the tank and coralline algae is slowly growing. No SPS yet. The tank is 8-mo old.

So what should I do to reduce the Ca and Alk and increase the Mag?

I’d like to reduce alk to 9, calcium at 450, and magnesium at 1350-1400.

9FA62141-D2A4-47F7-998A-DF0D6F746952.jpeg
913D7D58-A054-4797-959D-1A445098F074.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would temporarily turn the reactor off or turn the flow right down, and let the alkalinity and calcium drip down.

Depending on the reactor media and the magnesium content, you may occasionally have to add some magnesium additive to boost the level back up. Or make an adjustment to the magnesium chips your using.

I use rowalith W which is broken down corals, and although it contains an element of magnesium it’s not enough over a period of 6 months or so to keep up with demand in my system. So I need to add a supplement occasionally. I keep mine around 1350

OP
OP
Shaka_Reefer

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would temporarily turn the reactor off or turn the flow right down, and let the alkalinity and calcium drip down.

Depending on the reactor media and the magnesium content, you may occasionally have to add some magnesium additive to boost the level back up. Or make an adjustment to the magnesium chips your using.

I use rowalith W which is broken down corals, and although it contains an element of magnesium it’s not enough over a period of 6 months or so to keep up with demand in my system. So I need to add a supplement occasionally. I keep mine around 1350
I turned off the carbondoser, ordered BRS magnesium, and will be doing a couple of large water changes. Let’s see what happens. Thanks for the help

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hand dose mag to get it to the right level you seek. Add 5-10% more remag once your alk and cal are in range you want. Use the calcium reactor to maintain those levels. Hand dosing of any of those three may be required on occasion.

OP
OP
Shaka_Reefer

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hand dose mag to get it to the right level you seek. Add 5-10% more remag once your alk and cal are in range you want. Use the calcium reactor to maintain those levels. Hand dosing of any of those three may be required on occasion.
I turned off the reactor. Manually dosed mag and I’m keeping it at 1350. Alk is dropping and will be dosing soda ash manually to maintain at 8dkh. Calcium is still high at 550pm but slowwwwwwly dropping (from 600). I’ll be manually dosing alk and mag for now and I’ll hook up the calcium reactor again when I get calcium down to around 400.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back