High Alk, Low Cal and "normal" Mag

MysticSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know from the title I have been dealing with a alkalinity problem for a few days now. I have been doing 15% water changes and am now thinking of doing a 50% water change because it seems to not improve. Here are my results:

Alkalinity: 20.0 dKH (probably higher) (Hanna, Salifert and Red Sea)
Calcium: 220 ppm (Hanna, Salifert and API)
Magnesium: 1350 ppm (Salifert)

Now I use multiple test kit brands from Hanna to API so I have multiple ways to check results. Please let me know what else can be done or if there is anything else.

OP
OP
MysticSea

MysticSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st question, what are you adding that has your DKH at 20
So I was adding a marine buffer to my freshwater, then adding that to the reef tank. That went on for three weeks tbh and long story short I am where I am at now. More to the story is that I started working a new job and so water testing decreased on my part.

OP
OP
MysticSea

MysticSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop adding the buffer and do small regular water changes. If you do 50% water change, I would be afraid that your dkh will drop too rapidly.
Cheers! Mark
I stopped adding the first day I realized and been taking 15% out for four days and still shows the same. I believe the marine buffer solution is still dissolved in my system therefore making adjustments difficult parameter wise.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing anything else about your reef, I would say if I did this with one of my reefs, I would continue with small frequent water changes and not try to make any other adjustment til I got the Alk. down. If you have coral, they should be able to get what they need from the water changes for now.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
MysticSea

MysticSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing anything else about your reef, I would say if I did this with one of my reefs, I would continue with small frequent water changes and not try to make any other adjustment til I got the Alk. down. If you have coral, they should be able to get what they need from the water changes for now.
Cheers! Mark
Sounds good I will keep it up and see. But yes my corals are still hanging in there and the fish so likely I caught it before anything started dying off.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back