High-alk Salts

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that the high-alk salts use borate to keep the Alk at such a high level. My understanding is that this is really only good for helping stabilize pH as only carbonate alk is what is useful to coral.

Has anyone analyzed these salts to confirm this?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have heard that the high-alk salts use borate to keep the Alk at such a high level. My understanding is that this is really only good for helping stabilize pH as only carbonate alk is what is useful to coral.

I would suggest that the best way to check this is to call the 'technical support' of the salt you're interested in. Or - some have the ingreditents listed. I do not think all salts use borate.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystal's is the poster child for high alk.

Not sure about borate but there are ICP tests on salt mixes if you google hard enough. RC should be in there given its popularity.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef Crystal's is the poster child for high alk.

Not sure about borate but there are ICP tests on salt mixes if you google hard enough. RC should be in there given its popularity.
you cannot really tell whether its borate or carbonate with an ICP test.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That isn't generally true.

Instant Ocean and Red Sea Coral Pro do not have excessive borate.

The only high (very high) borate mix was the old Seachem mix. I think they revised it downward.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you cannot really tell whether its borate or carbonate with an ICP test.

???

Borate is easily quantified by ICP. Carbonate, of course, cannot be.

"Boron (B; borate). The borate is about normal. I do not add it. It seemingly is not depleted in my aquarium."

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
???

Borate is easily quantified by ICP. Carbonate, of course, cannot be.

"Boron (B; borate). The borate is about normal. I do not add it. It seemingly is not depleted in my aquarium."
It was my impression - that Borate BO3 - would be broken down into Boron and Oxygen in an ICP test. So what I meant is that you can't really measure 'borate' itself - I wasn't sure if 'borate' was the only form of 'boron' in salt mixes. Thus I said an ICP wouldn't tell the difference - (i.e. which was causing more alkalinity 'Borate or carbonate' (which was I think the question up top) - especially as you also said - you cant measure carbonate. .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my impression - that Borate BO3 - would be broken down into Boron and Oxygen in an ICP test. So what I meant is that you can't really measure 'borate' itself - I wasn't sure if 'borate' was the only form of 'boron' in salt mixes. Thus I said an ICP wouldn't tell the difference - (i.e. which was causing more alkalinity 'Borate or carbonate' (which was I think the question up top) - especially as you also said - you cant measure carbonate. .

Yes, it's the only form of boron. :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back