High Alkalinity and ph

bingus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to figure out why my ph and alkalinity were high for weeks and I was thinking and just realized that I have an air stone in my tank and thought maybe that could be keeping c02 from rising in my tank and keeping hydrogen out? What do you guys think? Any advice?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you consider high pH and Alk? Most people target higher pH and Alk to boost growth. I've been working hard to get my pH up... Kalk + Skimmer + CO2 Scrubber has taken me from 7.8ish pH to about 8.3ish ph.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test pH and alkalinity? I can't see chemically how pH could be too high unless something (nasty) has been added to the tank. The natural buffering capacity will keep pH from going too high.

OP
OP
bingus

bingus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph measured over 8.6 (highest my Red Sea tester showed) and my alkalinity was 11.2 I haven’t added anything for it and my corals haven’t been growing (all softies and zoo types) do I need to dose amino acids or add something like reef chili?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using and at what salinity? I'd bring a water sample to an LFS or another reefer and have them test your water. And just so you know, softies (including zoas) don't consume alkalinity. You might wish to consider switching to a salt with lower alk numbers.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph measured over 8.6 (highest my Red Sea tester showed) and my alkalinity was 11.2 I haven’t added anything for it and my corals haven’t been growing (all softies and zoo types) do I need to dose amino acids or add something like reef chili?

If you haven't added any additives or dosing to your tank, I would question the test kit for pH. If you are using a high-Alk salt, 11.2 is possible.

OP
OP
bingus

bingus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I didn’t know that at all. I thought all corals consumed alkalinity to grow. I use instant ocean sea salt.
What salt are you using and at what salinity? I'd bring a water sample to an LFS or another reefer and have them test your water. And just so you know, softies (including zoas) don't consume alkalinity. You might wish to consider switching to a salt with lower alk numbers.

OP
OP
bingus

bingus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't added any additives or dosing to your tank, I would question the test kit for pH. If you are using a high-Alk salt, 11.2 is possible.
I’m on vacation at the beach right now but I come home tomorrow and I will try to take a test sample of water to my lfs for a test thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to figure out why my ph and alkalinity were high for weeks and I was thinking and just realized that I have an air stone in my tank and thought maybe that could be keeping c02 from rising in my tank and keeping hydrogen out? What do you guys think? Any advice?

No, that is not an explanation for high pH (unless alkalinity is above 14 dKH) or anything to do with alkalinity values.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason that it would be high?

"It" means pH?

pH is only high if there is low CO2 in the aquarium, or high alkalinity.

In practice, reef tanks generally only have high pH when using high pH additives (they reduce CO2 in the water) or possibly if one is excessively using a CO2 scrubber on skimmer inlet air.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back