High Alkalinity fresh salt water

Chefoffduty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I am looking for some advice with high KH reading with fresh batch of salt water mix.

I'll give you the story so far over the last couple of days. I noticed after the last couple of water changes my alk spiked from 8-9 kh after testing the water the day after. I have been using redsea blue bucket for quite a while. I then went to buy a new bucket of read sea blue as I had finished what i had at home.
I mixed up a batch and tested prior to doing a water change I tested 10.550 with Hanna Alkalinity H1755 checker. Wanting a second reading i also tested with salifert test kit which came back very similar.
I contacted redsea and they asked for the batch number and gave me there icp for the batch which was 2.75 meq/l which is 8.2 ish? They said I can send them in a sample if i would like them to test for me.
I then got a second opinion from my lfs and that was also tested 10.5. So I decided to purchase a bucket of tropic marin pro reef which I wanted to change to at some point going forward anyway.
I made a fresh batch and tested again with both the Hanna and salifert and have tested 10.08. Again this is to high for me and Much higher than they say.

I am not sure what to try next
Any ideas?

Thanks

Ceri720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have worked it out no need for help anymore.
Thanks
Hi there - I am having the same issue - my salt water is testing at 10.5 dkh before even adding to tank. Tank alk is rising - what did you figure out??

OP
OP
C

Chefoffduty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
It was my fresh ro water, the TDS was to high 54 when should be 0.
I changed the DI resin and fixed it straight away
I should have checked this first really.
Hope this helps

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back