High alkalinity

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently cycling my tank. I am going through the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit. Currently I am on day 8, and have ammonia of 1.0, Nitrite of 0.05, and Nitrate of around 20-30. Is these levels good so far?

My alkalinity is my concern though. My alkalinity when first tested on day 2 was 12dKh but now on day 8 it's up to around 14-15 dKh. Is this anything to be concerned about? What can I do about this? I am using Instant Oceons salt at around 1.025. should I mix it at a lower salt level?

Kawika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience. I assumed it was due to me accidentally overdosing KH Corraline Gro but now I am curious if it’s part of the process.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience. I assumed it was due to me accidentally overdosing KH Corraline Gro but now I am curious if it’s part of the process.

That product is an alkalinity supplement, so if you did not dose it based on a need for alkalinity, that could be why it got too high.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using dry rock, not exactly sure what kind. I am using RODI water though, no tap water

I would try to find out what it was. Rocks made from cement that are not adequately cured in advance can raise the pH and alkalinity.

OP
OP
J

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using dry rock, not exactly sure what kind. I am using RODI water though, no tap water

Here's a picture of my tank
That product is an alkalinity supplement, so if you did not dose it based on a need for alkalinity, that could be why it got too high.

I have not used any of the KH Coralline Gro at all yet because my Alkalinity is above there recommended level to dose at

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently cycling my tank. I am going through the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit. Currently I am on day 8, and have ammonia of 1.0, Nitrite of 0.05, and Nitrate of around 20-30. Is these levels good so far?

My alkalinity is my concern though. My alkalinity when first tested on day 2 was 12dKh but now on day 8 it's up to around 14-15 dKh. Is this anything to be concerned about? What can I do about this? I am using Instant Oceons salt at around 1.025. should I mix it at a lower salt level?
Have you checked tds coming from RODI?
Recently had same issue turned out my alk was around 5 coming from 118 tds.
Upgraded to 6 stage got my alk down to 11 now very slowly over the course of 2 25% water changes in last few weeks.

OP
OP
J

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked tds coming from RODI?
Recently had same issue turned out my alk was around 5 coming from 118 tds.
Upgraded to 6 stage got my alk down to 11 now very slowly over the course of 2 25% water changes in last few weeks.
My TDS from my RO water is around 1 or 2. Not checked the alkalinity coming from it though

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used any of the KH Coralline Gro at all yet because my Alkalinity is above there recommended level to dose at

I didn't suggest you had. I was just addressing kawika's siauation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's to do with the rocks, what do you recommend I do?

You will either need to constantly lower the tank alkalinity with a specific additive for that purpose (that's a pain), or doe water changes with a special salt mix with low alk (a pain too), or remove and cure the rock more (a bigger pain).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely check the alk of that water it's probably the issue.

I don't think 1-2 ppm TDS water could possibly be the cause, but I would look to lower the TDS anyway.

Let's look in detail at the very worst case possible: 2 ppm TDS of pure sodium carbonate is in the water.

That's equivalent to less than 2 mg/L sodium carbonate, which has an alkalinity of 0.038 meq/L (0.1 dKH).

If he tops off with 3% daily, that adds 0.003 dKH per day.

Thus, if his TDS meter is even remotely correct, top off with his RO/DI cannot explain an alk jump of 2-3 dKH in 6 days.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think 1-2 ppm TDS water could possibly be the cause, but I would look to lower the TDS anyway.

Let's look in detail at the very worst case possible: 2 ppm TDS of pure sodium carbonate is in the water.

That's equivalent to less than 2 mg/L sodium carbonate, which has an alkalinity of 0.038 meq/L (0.1 dKH).

If he tops off with 3% daily, that adds 0.003 dKH per day.

Thus, if his TDS meter is even remotely correct, top off with his RO/DI cannot explain an alk jump of 2-3 dKH in 6 days.
Right on. For me it was a little different I bought a "slightly used" ro non di and never changed out my filters.
Was just curious about his situation with the ro. Is it di? New? Filters?
I couldnt believe my ro water was 5 alk when you told me to check it I was dumb founded.

OP
OP
J

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me out here? I have the Red Sea test kit for alkalinity. I have just tested a few times in a row there on my tank, sometimes I get 12, sometimes 14, I even got 1 time which was 11. Why is this? Is there another way I can test my alkalinity?

tonyespinoza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so critical, everyone seems to find their favorite Alk test which they get used to and provides consistent results for them. Having tried many, the one I can vouch for is LaMotte.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so critical, everyone seems to find their favorite Alk test which they get used to and provides consistent results for them. Having tried many, the one I can vouch for is LaMotte.
But why am I getting so varied results? I seem to be doing it as instructed (plus I have done the highest level of Chemistry in school and I am currently studying Biomedical Science at university so I am inclined to say it's not my fault ahah)

tonyespinoza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why am I getting so varied results? I seem to be doing it as instructed (plus I have done the highest level of Chemistry in school and I am currently studying Biomedical Science at university so I am inclined to say it's not my fault ahah)

I am not a Red Sea user but generally there are many ways to get inconsistent results.

For example, if you're looking for a color change in a titration test, it seems lighting plays a big role. Are you using natural light or a mix of natural and artificial? Are you doing it at the same time of day (light intensity-wise)? Etc.

Back