High alkalinity

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna checker but have found salifert test to be real simple. I see alot of people having issues with the Red Sea test looking for colors.

tonyespinoza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Hanna Checkers are actually less cost per test than the LaMotte... perhaps Salifert makes more sense for you at only around $17 for 100 tests.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I have the Red Sea test kit which should be highly accurate. Do you think Salifert will be better?
I have the Hanna Checker but prefer the salifert kit. It's really easy to use and right on par with hanna checker. I actually trust the salifert test more as you can get bad reagents with the hanna checker.

tonyespinoza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's strange, but we each see color a little differently and the environments we're testing in are different so there could be something subtle about why one test kit works better for you vs another. But yeah, bad reagents? Ugh. That's why I went with LaMotte which is a generic lab test not targeted at reefers and everything in the supply chain is managed to commercial vs hobbyist specs.

i personally find that Alk is the most important thing i test that drives the health of stony corals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why am I getting so varied results? I seem to be doing it as instructed (plus I have done the highest level of Chemistry in school and I am currently studying Biomedical Science at university so I am inclined to say it's not my fault ahah)

I wouldn’t try to get ultra precise readings with a hobby test kit. Differences in the several different volume measures and the exact color you decide is fine will vary a bit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But going from 11-15 dKh seems like quite a big variation though

that is bigger than normal. I’m not sure what the problem is, but is the variation that big testing the same water over and over?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You will either need to constantly lower the tank alkalinity with a specific additive for that purpose (that's a pain), or doe water changes with a special salt mix with low alk (a pain too), or remove and cure the rock more (a bigger pain).
Randy - Lower with what additive?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back