High Alkalinty With Corals Coming Tomorrow

Josh's_Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2021
Messages
173
Reaction score
307
Location
Bethlehem
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone, I accidentally raised my alkalinity too high while dosing BRS Soda Ash. I have corals coming tomorrow. My alkalinity is currently at 10.2 dkh. Question is do I let it ride and lower on its own or do water change with lower dkh salt such as Red Sea salt that had dkh of 8.
 
What is the target level?
Do you have measureable nitrates and phosphate and are those generally stable?

If you have nutrients stable then I would recommend letting the dkh recover naturally and not bump everything around. Add the new coral and see if they speed up the drop in all these parameters.
 
What is the target level?
Do you have measureable nitrates and phosphate and are those generally stable?

If you have nutrients stable then I would recommend letting the dkh recover naturally and not bump everything around. Add the new coral and see if they speed up the drop in all these parameters.
+1
 
Honestly,
10.2 Dkh with nothing in the tank is nothing to be worried about—there are many salt mixes out there that mix up higher than that. Just climate the coral like normal and go on—and be thankful you had the whoops before the livestock arrived and not after.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new