High Altitude reef keeping

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live along the foothills outside of Denver. Our altitude is around 7000 feet.

Is altitude a problem for PH. I've never had good luck with it. My PH is always around 7.8 and barely ever 8.0 I'm running a refugium of course and open the house windows when I can but it's winter. I've tried dosing seachem reef buffer 8.3 but I still can't ever get it up. Do I just need to keep dosing it all at once until it's at 8.3 in one day?

Also I know we keep our salinity at altitude a bit higher. Mine is always at 1.026 this was explained to me a long time ago. Something about the oxygen exchange because of the thinner air at altitude.

Any other tips for good reef keeping at altitude?

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
while air pressure is lower at altitude i do not think this affects ph in our tanks....

ps
i lived in highlands and sloan lake for awhile

TinyTinCans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post.

However, I have been wondering the same thing. I’m at 6600 ft and can’t seem to keep it above 8.0. I am adding a C02 Scrubber with and recirculating Valve. I hope it works.

Just wounding what your solution was?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my reef the same near Boulder as I did in Missouri. We have plenty of nice days, so keep fresh air in your house and the tank pH will be great. I closed everything up for this current cold spell, but I will crack some windows next week when we get into the 40s - we will climb from about 450 to 700 ppm of co2 in our home in a week and I like to keep it in the 400s. A few pennies in natural gas (if even) is way cheaper and easier than paying for, shipping and messing with a reactor and soda lime.

OP
OP
Aldrinlights

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an air line from my skimmer to the outside. I'm near the Denver international Airport. Ever since that my Ph is 8.2 constantly. I also put in the air line a small section where I have an air filter as we sometimes have bad air quality, dust or smoke.

TinyTinCans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an air line from my skimmer to the outside. I'm near the Denver international Airport. Ever since that my Ph is 8.2 constantly. I also put in the air line a small section where I have an air filter as we sometimes have bad air quality, dust or smoke.
Nice! The air filter is a great idea. Honestly I was hesitant to run the outside line because of where I live the air quality is never great. But I like the Idea of an inline air filter. Thanks for the response.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back