High ammonia

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no rip clean? soon to be big algae issues from skipping It and your tank takes one hour to clean it correctly

when you mentioned alot is dying and coming loose that means it’s been left in the tank to rot, this can kill new animals added as they increase oxygen demand and tax on the eutrophic system

post a new full tank shot so we can see environmental progress

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no rip clean? soon to be big algae issues from skipping It and your tank takes one hour to clean it correctly

when you mentioned alot is dying and coming loose that means it’s been left in the tank to rot, this can kill new animals added as they increase oxygen demand and tax on the eutrophic system

post a new full tank shot so we can see environmental progress
Tbh I jus haven’t had the time and I was kinda going off of a previous post stating I should try increasing my bio load as one clown fish in a 36g tank isn’t doing much to “dirty” it up. And I guess I didn’t mention I was jus letting what comes off hang out and rot I go through with a turkey baster sometimes multiple times daily sucking off whatever looks loose then I’ll blow some off and suck up the big pieces and let the filter floss catch the rest then I’ll clean the floss the next morning to remove whatever it picks up.

Attachments

• 65F307B7-4EB7-4C0B-92A5-925BE6C98787.jpeg
    65F307B7-4EB7-4C0B-92A5-925BE6C98787.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 39
  • F8E96886-B77A-493E-A226-6E7B39E2A93C.jpeg
    F8E96886-B77A-493E-A226-6E7B39E2A93C.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 44
  • D271054D-469F-48D9-822B-54CD63C462FE.jpeg
    D271054D-469F-48D9-822B-54CD63C462FE.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 40

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. It looks a little better than before nice updates there.

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes congrats!
Oh man too much celebration too soon!!! my heater gave out two nights ago and I live in western New Mexico where it’s not as bad as some states but it’s been getting near 0 at night and my tank didn’t appreciate the cold!! It got cold and everything but my gbta seems to have taken the cold alright. Got my heater fixed after finally getting the part needed and I’ve been blasting a parabolic heater at the tank to help it warm up got my fingers crossed the gbta bounces back. It don’t look like it’s gonna tho...

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. It looks a little better than before nice updates there.
Most of the big and stringy stuff is gone now all that’s really left is the stuff growing tight to the rocks that don’t easily remove. And another thing about the rip clean on why I haven’t done it is cause I would like my tank to balance itself out and be healthy from within not from me going in there and making it look healthy so that it can better combat issues in the future without me having to intervene so much. Kinda like a flu shot. They give you a lil bit of the flu to help prevent you from getting it. And I’m not showing off my tank at every possible chance so I don’t mind it looking a bit off if it will pay off in the long run. I’m going on 1 year in March. I started my rock about this time let it cure for about 5 weeks in a Rubbermaid then threw rock and sand in tank till I put my first fish in July. And I want at least the inhabitants to be around as long as possible it may only be a two or three year tank cause I have a 120 my dream tank waiting for accessories and that’s where everything will eventually go unless someone comes along looking for a 120 and want to buy mine. Water box has some pretty sweet tanks I wouldn’t mind having lol. I’m rambling now back on topic, like I said as long as what I’m doing will correct the problem and not jus “bandaid” it I can deal with the chryso’s for now. Cause even if I rip cleaned before I got the new livestock I would still have a low bio load which would jus lead me back to more chryso’s right? Unless I started dosing to get the levels up which I would need some new Hannah meters for and are on the list but still a few items away on that list of things to buy. So the $100 plus shipping I would have spent on jus the two meters alone I spent on some more c.u.c. Peppermint shrimp A six line wrasse and a green bubble tip anemone. Which looks a lot better in my tank than a couple boxes of test equipment inside the cabinet. And now with the new additions I can wait a week or so then do the rip clean so once complete I have adequate bio load to keep this problem from coming back. Do you think this is a good approach I know they say do not deviate from the guidelines, but I think this might be the one exception... lol. I feel like I should have gotten at least two fish though. The new cuc are all very large too. My poor Lil snails prolly feel like they wound up In The land of giants hahaha.

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at least the gbta came around after I got my heater back up and running and got the water temp to start rising that was a close call!

Attachments

• 96498D98-B01E-44DB-A1A3-7FD00644C482.jpeg
    96498D98-B01E-44DB-A1A3-7FD00644C482.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 31
  • B3E86B16-860B-48B9-B66E-00198E9F3B08.jpeg
    B3E86B16-860B-48B9-B66E-00198E9F3B08.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dunno what’s up with that anemone.... it acts funny all day long the tips will be deflated and the foot will be dark brown and sometimes swelled up sometimes shriveled up. Right now it wasn’t doing too great but had got blown into a spot between two rocks where only a tiny portion of it was showing so I pulled it out and moved it and it immediately started re-inflating but was still mobile. Kept trying to get it to stay put and finally a little portion of the foot stuck but only to help it cartwheel into the spot my clownfish calls home and sleeps in. Now my clown has no clue where it’s gonna sleep lol!! Hopefully this will help it to start hosting the anemone and maybe it won’t be so temperamental like it’s been. Hopefully it likes the spot it’s in too. On another note I woke up this am to a slight haze in the tank so I turned on the carbon when I came home this evening the water was crystal clear again. Hopefully things start to head in the right direction soon. I’m gonna do a partial water change Sunday I hope. Jus run a hose over all the loose chryso’s to help clear up some real estate for the good stuff to have a place to take hold.

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha and wouldn’t you know as soon as I posted that I walked over and shined my phone into the tank and the clown was right on top of the anemone!:) but the anemone didn’t look too happy about it. It like folded in on itself or maybe jus the way it retracted made it look that way but it was jus all spread open and happy when the lights were on still jus fifteen mins ago.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back