Parameters: (July 10th)
Salinity: 1.025
Alkalinity: 9
Calcium: 500
Magnesium: 1300
Phosphate: 0
Nitrates: 0

Filtration:
LifeReef SVS2-24 Skimmer (rated for ~250g)
Fuge with Chaeto
Carbon Reactor
90lbs Rock + 80lbs Sand

The tank has been up & running for a little more than 3 months, only has had fish for 2 months. Cycled using LOTS of bio spira nitrifying bacteria. I current have never done a water change except before I stocked with fish & everything seems to be fine parameter wise & aggression wise. The water is also clear. I feed heavily 2-4x a day with a mix of diff frozen foods, freeze dried, many different pellets with some selcon & garlic added in. I feed heavy in hopes to combat any possible aggression. I was wondering if I’ll be fine with no water changes & my current filtration when my tank is fully stocked with all the fish I want. I’m currently working on filling out the tank with fish first & then am going to start filling out with coral. Already have my doser & 2 part ready. As long as all parameters are showing to be okay & fish aren’t being aggressive/look to be happy, I’m in the clear, correct?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to test your nitrates and phosphates to determine water changes.

I bet if you add a foxface the aggression would come into play, as well.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing?

zero nitrates and phosphate on a new tank with no water changing and heavy feeding is so going!

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing?

zero nitrates and phosphate on a new tank with no water changing and heavy feeding is so going!

nitrates & phosphates are tested with my salifert test kit

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to test your nitrates and phosphates to determine water changes.

I bet if you add a foxface the aggression would come into play, as well.
Not good to hear lol I have a Bicolor Foxface acclimating in my sump right now

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the fox face in particular (regarding aggression)? Just curious

Just because the op already has three tangs in a 90 gallon, and that is already pushing the limit in aggression, but JMO... :D

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used salifert for phosphate kept giving a reading of zero, moved to Elos now my reading is .092.
I would double check those readings as they seem too low.
gotcha, I'm probably going to pickup a few hanna testers soon

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because the op already has three tangs in a 90 gallon, and that is already pushing the limit in aggression, but JMO... :D
;Hilarious will update you guys on how things go. I'm thinking it'll be alright but we'll see I guess

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Hilarious will update you guys on how things go. I'm thinking it'll be alright but we'll see I guess

I would slow right down, all those big fish in a 90g, it’s a very new system too, even if a mature system it would be hard going, apart from the tang issue, the mandarin in a new tank and again even in a mature tank will be hard to support, your testing being a little suspect too means I would be slowing down a great deal.

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would slow right down, all those big fish in a 90g, it’s a very new system too, even if a mature system it would be hard going, apart from the tang issue, the mandarin in a new tank and again even in a mature tank will be hard to support, your testing being a little suspect too means I would be slowing down a great deal.
I'm aware of mandarins not being sustainable in newer tanks. Definitely holding off on that guy, I had planned it to be my last addition. I seeded my tank with 10k+ pods the other day & don't plan to get him months later down the road

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aware of mandarins not being sustainable in newer tanks. Definitely holding off on that guy, I had planned it to be my last addition. I seeded my tank with 10k+ pods the other day & don't plan to get him months later down the road

good to hear, keep an eye on the pod population as they have a very short life span, and remember Mandarins can eat around 5000 pods a day, so your 10k as it stands is 2 days worth :rolleyes:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO your really pushing the envelope on the fox face.
The BT and him are going to get big fast,
If he’s gets hungry, say bye bye to some LPS.

57E51042-7ED3-49E5-9D47-A1203D455AC1.jpeg

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as all parameters are showing to be okay & fish aren’t being aggressive/look to be happy, I’m in the clear, correct?

If your tank has only had any fish for 2 months I don't think you can conclude that no aggression issues now mean you're good to go forever.

Fish take time to become established in a tank/develop territories and they tend to get aggressive as they age. I can't count the number of threads I've read in the fish section where "all of a sudden" a tang or clownfish became aggressive. This seems to usually be around the 2 year mark and corresponds to the fish finally being mature.

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The entire squad minus the royal gamma

My flame hawkfish will arrive in 2 days & then that’ll be my final addition for a month or two before I contemplate the Midas blenny. I’m hoping 4-6 months down the road my pod population will be enough to sustain a mandarin which will be my final addition.

Also, I’d like to add that overstocking can be a good thing in the way which it diverts aggression, not only one fish will be picked on. There are tons of people who had better luck with 9 fish compared to 4 so it’s not just one guy getting beat up. I’m aware overstocking has it’s downsides but I don’t think it’s as bad as most people put it out to be

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression works a couple of ways, yes the way you describe it but also remember that some fish like their own area to setup camp, it’s not just a case of a aggressive fish having a lot of other fish to choose from but not enough room for them to have their own area and also sleeping areas, which can cause aggression and also stress, and tangs with stress is not a good thing, as that can bring on illness.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back