High Calcium equals little algae growth

reefking807

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard this or had experience with this. One of the vendors I know have I said to keep calcium above 600 as a result of little to no growth at all in algae. I had never heard of this nor ever experience is it was wondering if anybody else could ever encountered something like that

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600?? WOW. Never heard that one before, and I'd not keep my tank at that level just for algae relief sakes. WOW

OP
OP
R

reefking807

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's what I always thought to. Mine will never get that high. I don't even like mine hitting 490.lol

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a guy at one of my LFS say that once. No, not true imo. The use of RO/DI water only, vodka or bio pellets, consistant water changes, no over feeding and a good clean up crew keep algae at bay. High calcuim (that high anyway) isn't good. Because to keep a balanced tank then mag and everything else would be high too. wreeks havok on your equipment. I've had a massive amount of coraline and still had algae because I wasn't using ro/di water. When I got everything in balance, incorperated bio pellets, used ro/di at water changes and top off my hair algae and other bad algaes went away.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
find that guy and set him straight. calcium over 500 or so wreaks havoc. it can burn many corals and melt zoas like nothing else!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back