Freshwater Nerite in reef

AlexxF18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all. Not sure if anybody else has attempted this. Long story short, heard nerites will eat cyano, i happened to have a spare nerite in an empty freshwater tank, also heard some nerites can live in both waters. So after a few days of off and on drip acclimating in a bucket. This is day 7 of his venture in the reef tank and hes still kickin butt. Curious if anybody else has done this sort of little experiment

Snapchat-747994371.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. But I have put saltwater nerites that I collect when I snorkel in the Keys into my tanks. I have an issue with them wanting to climb to the top of the tank. On my rimless tank, they even climb out of the tank. Fortunately, they can 'close up' their operculum and survive 12 to 24 hours out of the water!

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all. Not sure if anybody else has attempted this. Long story short, heard nerites will eat cyano, i happened to have a spare nerite in an empty freshwater tank, also heard some nerites can live in both waters. So after a few days of off and on drip acclimating in a bucket. This is day 7 of his venture in the reef tank and hes still kickin butt. Curious if anybody else has done this sort of little experiment

Snapchat-747994371.jpg
I have always heard Nerite snails are brackish and salt water snails sold as fresh water snails.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they can traverse between salt, brackish and fresh. Typically only have viable eggs in brackish water but will lay eggs in fresh or salt also. As long as it was acclimated I think it will be ok. They will eat algae off rocks and substrate but seem to prefer flat surfaces. And, yes they can and will go on walkabout.

Lobophyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always heard Nerite snails are brackish and salt water snails sold as fresh water snails.
nerite are euryhaline organisms, they shoud handle fresh and saltwater well, was looking if people tried it already, pretty rare actually

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried it but keep us posted on how it is doing

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back