High calcium what's the cause?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A calcium level of 500 mg/l is higher than most people run their tanks at but as long as your alkalinity level is also running high it may not be an issue. When high levels (or low levels) of calcium occur in the tank and are out of balance with the alkalinity within the tank, that is normally where this becomes an issue. Seawater is 460-480.

Industry standards are:
Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .4
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-9
CA 440

You always push these as industry standards. What individuals should target is highly dependent on the setup they have. Many ULN systems target < 8dKH. Others who may be looking for excellerated growth will target elevated levels for many of these.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You always push these as industry standards. What individuals should target is highly dependent on the setup they have. Many ULN systems target < 8dKH. Others who may be looking for excellerated growth will target elevated levels for many of these.
After 34+ years, they are industry standards. Of course these values need to be tweaked especially in an heavy SPS tank. Its the demand that determines this and based on the OPs setup, these are the targets he will want. To suggest 530 as a safe range is setting one up for coral bleaching. - thats some very good advice

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 34+ years, they are industry standards. Of course these values need to be tweaked especially in an heavy SPS tank. Its the demand that determines this and based on the OPs setup, these are the targets he will want. To suggest 530 as a safe range is setting one up for coral bleaching. - thats some very good advice
So high ca does cause coral bleaching? Because I have had some of that mainly in a millipora that I had but also have a purple birds nest thata bleaching but my green one is fine?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So high ca does cause coral bleaching? Because I have had some of that mainly in a millipora that I had but also have a purple birds nest thata bleaching but my green one is fine?
Calcium is a vital mineral for a reef tank. But when you add extra calcium to your tank, you may increase the hardness level in your tank and affect the growth and health of the fish and coral in your tank. If you add too much calcium you can actually have a dead aquarium in time. If calcium levels get too high (over 500), there is a tendency for alkalinity to drop, affecting the buffering capacity of your aquarium water. Without adequate buffering, pH levels become susceptible to fluctuations. Conversely, if alkalinity gets too high, calcium levels will tend to fall as calcium precipitates out of solution in the form of insoluble calcium carbonate, also causing pH fluctuations. Ideally, calcium levels should be between 400 and 450 ppm, while the alkalinity should be between 2.5-3.5 meq/L (7-10 dKH).

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is a vital mineral for a reef tank. But when you add extra calcium to your tank, you may increase the hardness level in your tank and affect the growth and health of the fish and coral in your tank. If you add too much calcium you can actually have a dead aquarium in time. If calcium levels get too high (over 500), there is a tendency for alkalinity to drop, affecting the buffering capacity of your aquarium water. Without adequate buffering, pH levels become susceptible to fluctuations. Conversely, if alkalinity gets too high, calcium levels will tend to fall as calcium precipitates out of solution in the form of insoluble calcium carbonate, also causing pH fluctuations. Ideally, calcium levels should be between 400 and 450 ppm, while the alkalinity should be between 2.5-3.5 meq/L (7-10 dKH).
Ok so my plan is as follows after all your help.

I'm going to do a 15% water change everyday for the next 5 days. My total system volume is roughly 55 gallons so that's 7.5 gallons a day. I retested some saltwater tonight that was mixed at 420 ca. So I'm going to see what that does.

On a side note I'm getting to the bottom of the bucket. Do certain elements sink in the bucket or should the salt be consistent throughout the bucket?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem reef fusion 2

Did you use Reef Fusion 1 for calcium at any point?

I'm still trying to figure out where the elevated Ca came from. Especially, if you've never added any Ca supplements.

So theory 1, is that your just getting bad observations from your test kit.

Theory 2, is that you had very low pH and some of your substrate dissolved adding both Ca/Alk.

Theory 2 is iffy because dissolve substrate should add balanced Alk/Ca.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was not suggesting 530 as safe. Just that one-size fits all is not always the best advice.

I'm more curious as to why he has this elevated level. If nothing was ever dosed?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was not suggesting 530 as safe. Just that one-size fits all is not always the best advice.

I'm more curious as to why he has this elevated level. If nothing was ever dosed?
Im thinking low consumption from coral and addition of fusion to the tank and possibility also of low PH

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem reef fusion

See I'm not terribly worried am just curious as to why it's higher than what I'm mixing at. I'd say human error and test accuracy could play a part but between fresh saltwater and tank water I'm averaging 50+ppm higher every time. I will say I thought I had it pegged. My ro membrane took a dump and I was putting 400+ tds water into my tank. My area is high in calcium. But here I am 3 months later and it's still sitting at the same level low to mid 500.

This should be theory #1.

So calcium is much more plentiful in saltwater and will come down way more slowly than Alk.

I want to say 1dKH per 7ppm Ca? @Randy Holmes-Farley ??

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be theory #1.

So calcium is much more plentiful in saltwater and will come down way more slowly than Alk.

I want to say 1dKH per 7ppm Ca? @Randy Holmes-Farley ??

So failed RODI increased Ca.

Even though Ca/Alk are consumed roughly equally in a tank. Ca is much more plentiful so depletes much slower percentage-wise. Hence why it is coming down very slowly.

This is why most aquarist use Alk measurements for testing tank. Once Alk/Ca are balanced to your liking, they deplete evenly and you can use one measurement to assess both levels. For many reasons this balance can skew over longer periods of time and one should periodically check Ca to potentially rebalance.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use Reef Fusion 1 for calcium at any point?

I'm still trying to figure out where the elevated Ca came from. Especially, if you've never added any Ca supplements.

So theory 1, is that your just getting bad observations from your test kit.

Theory 2, is that you had very low pH and some of your substrate dissolved adding both Ca/Alk.

Theory 2 is iffy because dissolve substrate should add balanced Alk/Ca.
Nope never used fusion 1 that was the whole reasoning for my post lol I'm trying to figure out why CA is higher in my tank than it is when it's in my mixing bucket.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking low consumption from coral and addition of fusion to the tank and possibility also of low PH
But I thought alk and CA are consumed at the same rate? Also ive never added a CA supplement.

Ok never meant to add CA like I said awhile back my membrane on my RO went out. My tds going into my tank for top offs was well over 400. And I know calcium in my area is high. So I was adding calcium that way. And I've also got about 10 pounds of agronite in the tank. I've done maybe 50 gallons worth of water changes on a 50 gallon system since getting my membranes fixed. And calcium has been hovering around 500-530. And sitting 450ish in the mixing bucket.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it just dawned on me that when I set this tank up about a year ago I mixed in 10 pounds of caribsea Aragonite and on the bag it states 381,000 ppm calcium. Would this play into the increase or is something else going on?

No, it is not boosting calcium noticeably.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No.

Both of your calcium values are fine.

IMO, high calcium has NO negative effects except a small potential for increased abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate (just like high alk or high pH do, but less so).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I thought alk and CA are consumed at the same rate? Also ive never added a CA supplement.

Ok never meant to add CA like I said awhile back my membrane on my RO went out. My tds going into my tank for top offs was well over 400. And I know calcium in my area is high. So I was adding calcium that way. And I've also got about 10 pounds of agronite in the tank. I've done maybe 50 gallons worth of water changes on a 50 gallon system since getting my membranes fixed. And calcium has been hovering around 500-530. And sitting 450ish in the mixing bucket.

That's all fine. Just don't worry about it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back