High calcium

Fifty8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I performed a water change Sunday and checked my parameters this morning. Well everything except mag I have to get another test.

Nitrates 0
Phosphates 0
Alk 8.4
Calcium 520
Salinity 1.024

I know it shouldn't be that high but could it be because of the reef crystals I used for the water change? I only have 5 or 6 very small frags so I don't dose anything else. Will my coral be ok? Thanks in advance

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
520 ppm is fine. It might be that high, or partly test error, but it is no concern. [emoji3]

Yeah just let it naturally drop to where you want it. I switched from Reef Crystal’s to LiveAquaria salt because I like the parameters better. Matched what I am going for with my overall parameters, but I also dose to keep them that level.

Reef Crystals may be best for you right now until you want to keep your parameters at a certain level. You can also do smaller water changes to prevent major fluctuations as well.

dimo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was using reef crystals I was seeing the same, calcium over 500. I switched to regular IO which is lower in calcium.

OP
OP
Fifty8reef

Fifty8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that was it. After I run out of this box I'm going to get regular IO. Everyone says it's ok but I'd rather keep it a bit lower

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back