High calcium

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is my calcium 500 ppm without me dosing calcium? I use reef crystals salt, do 10% water change in a 75g once a week. Testing done with Salifert. Multiple tests. I dose reef builder for alk when needed. I have liquid calcium but have yet to use it because calcium has been reading 500ppm.
calcium: 500ppm
Alk: 8.8 dkh
Magnesium: 1350ppm

Legonch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, what corals are in your tank? How much KH are you dosing daily? Have you tested a new batch of reef crystals when you make one to see what the ca levels are in a new batch?

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, what corals are in your tank? How much KH are you dosing daily? Have you tested a new batch of reef crystals when you make one to see what the ca levels are in a new batch?
I am planning on doing that when I next do a water change. I just have LPS. Right now I have several hammers, a frogspawn, octospawn, and some cloves. I just started dosing KH the last few weeks. I haven’t been dosing daily. When I see its gone down about 1 dkh I dose about 1/2 tsp.

Legonch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I better off dosing smaller amounts daily?
Yes. Easy way to figure out what you need daily, is test your KH on day 1. Wait 4 days or more, test again. See how much the kh has dropped. Divide that by the days and you get your daily demand. Bring up BRS calculator, enter the total gallons of your system, and for the kh numbers you could use say 400 for the low, and the number you got for your daily demand plus 400. That should give you how much kh in ml you need per day. Im sure there are other calculators out there as well.

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Easy way to figure out what you need daily, is test your KH on day 1. Wait 4 days or more, test again. See how much the kh has dropped. Divide that by the days and you get your daily demand. Bring up BRS calculator, enter the total gallons of your system, and for the kh numbers you could use say 400 for the low, and the number you got for your daily demand plus 400. That should give you how much kh in ml you need per day. Im sure there are other calculators out there as well.
Thanks

Back