High iodine?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 6 months old. And I started AFR about 1 month in as I started getting more coral. Just LPS and softies.

Honestly I see this quite a lot with younger systems as I outlined in post #27.

Here’s what you could do. Keep your AFR, but hold the dosing for now. Switch over to Carbo Calcium or BRS Pharm 2-part as there are no trace elements in that from what I understand. Let your system mature a little more so that Iodine can come back down. Once your Alk consumption is moderate, maybe try to get back on the AFR, but monitor via ICP so that you can catch the Iodine if it starts to elevate again.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is a Radion xr15 g6 pro. The area that it's in gets around 100 or a little over PAR. My main display pump is max setting. I have 2 Maxspect Gyres for extra flow set to LPS mode. The Duncan has been in the same spot since entering the tank and has been fully open until maybe these last 2 weeks. My Torches and Goni's and everything else are normal.
Try dipping the duncan. Maybe something has gotten on it or whatever.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It contains a highly concentrated trace element iodine. Could explain your high iodine.

Only if it were manufactured incorrectly. Normal use does not boost iodine excessively.

Why do you use the term highly concentrated?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to think of it like this. Picture two system’s.

1. This system is a 6 month old 100/G system with a few torch, hammers, and some leathers. There are also a couple anemones, and a few chalice’s. It has two Hydra 26 HD’s over it.

2. This system is 7 yrs old, has a biomass of Acropora that makes up 40-50% of the actual water volume in the tank. It has 3x Radion G5 running at 100%, 4x T5’s, and 2x ReefBrites @100% all cooking the corals.

Question: Which system will completely use up every element in that bottle, and which is more likely to be slower growing and have problems with elements trending too high?

IMO, that is a misleading question for someone dosing AFR based on alk demand. Iodine might rise more in #1 than #2.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's at 0.416 mg/L, normal range is 0.050-0.090. Everything seems happy except my Duncan.

I would not assume everyone agrees with that "normal range", but I do not think AFR is causing excessive iodide that is, in turn, hurting corals.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if it were manufactured incorrectly. Normal use does not boost iodine excessively.

Why do you use the term highly concentrated?
It’s quoted directly from the website I looked it up on. The term “highly concentrated” would be a direct translation from “ALL-FOR-REEF bevat elk van deze componenten in sterk geconcentreerde vorm en bevat ook de belangrijkste spoorelementen jodium, broom en fluor”. And honestly, it could very well either be manufactured incorrectly or for that matter his consumption in other elements is higher and therefore his dosing is off, causing excessive iodine. I used to use reef elixer which is something like ALL FOR REEF and my zinc skyrocketed because of the reason mentioned above.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s quoted directly from the website I looked it up on. The term “highly concentrated” would be a direct translation from “ALL-FOR-REEF bevat elk van deze componenten in sterk geconcentreerde vorm en bevat ook de belangrijkste spoorelementen jodium, broom en fluor”. And honestly, it could very well either be manufactured incorrectly or for that matter his consumption in other elements is higher and therefore his dosing is off, causing excessive iodine. I used to use reef elixer which is something like ALL FOR REEF and my zinc skyrocketed because of the reason mentioned above.

The highly concentrated term applies to the whole mixture. It is not a highly concentrated iodine supplement. It is actually more dilute then ordinary iodine supplements.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The highly concentrated term applies to the whole mixture. It is not a highly concentrated iodine supplement. It is actually more dilute then ordinary iodine supplements.
I understand, but a mixture being highly concentrated often means the X Y Z supplements are also higher in concentration. I doubt anything can be “highly concentrated”, only to NOT be highly concentrated in its supplements… and again: depending on his consumption and him dosing, he can very well be dosing the correct amount for other supplements, but end up increasing elements which aren’t consumed as quickly.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 2 times a week.
Nori is relatively rich in iodine so may have influenced the test result by temporarily spiking the sampled water due to the moment you took the sample in relation to the moment you fed the nori (where both quantity fed or amount of iodine in this particular nori, and other types of food like clams may be part of the equation and contributing to the iodine levels). For your next ICP test you could just skip the nori that week before and see if that has any effect on the result. Also look into the other foods you are feeding.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back