High iodine?

Lionfish 37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. So I just did an ICP test most of my trace elements are low except iodine. What causes iodine to go up? And are there any methods to lower it besides the obvious water change? I'd like to dose some trace elements to get those in check, but not before I figure out this iodine thing.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't bother too much about iodine. Unless REALLY high, it won't hurt. Besides, iodine will evaporate in the proces as well if I am not mistaken.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. So I just did an ICP test most of my trace elements are low except iodine. What causes iodine to go up? And are there any methods to lower it besides the obvious water change? I'd like to dose some trace elements to get those in check, but not before I figure out this iodine thing.
The ICP results could be off.

OP
OP
Lionfish 37

Lionfish 37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't bother too much about iodine. Unless REALLY high, it won't hurt. Besides, iodine will evaporate in the proces as well if I am not mistaken.
It's at 0.416 mg/L, normal range is 0.050-0.090. Everything seems happy except my Duncan.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I dose is All for Reef.
that shouldn't increase iodine past acceptable ranges, it could be a test error. that's kinda the problem with icp. one test is not definitive, it kinda helps to have multiple test over the course of a few weeks or months so you can see a trend. you may come back low the next test, then elevated again on the third test, its hard to say with one test, but as long as your not adding it you should be fine.

OP
OP
Lionfish 37

Lionfish 37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that shouldn't increase iodine past acceptable ranges, it could be a test error. that's kinda the problem with icp. one test is not definitive, it kinda helps to have multiple test over the course of a few weeks or months so you can see a trend. you may come back low the next test, then elevated again on the third test, its hard to say with one test, but as long as your not adding it you should be fine.
The problem I have is the trace element supplement that I want to use has iodine in it. So I obviously don't want to add more if it's truly high.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which company?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually dose iodine for some of the red macroalgae that I have, as well as Xenia.

image.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a problem with this because if this is the case at $40 a pop it gets expensive just to send in multiple tests. For the cost these should be accurate
try sending in two tests of the same sample water, the results will really boil your noodle! ;)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a problem with this because if this is the case at $40 a pop it gets expensive just to send in multiple tests. For the cost these should be accurate
Did you have a chance to read the recent post of @Rick Mathew on the Chemistry forum about ICP vs the Hanna Checker? Iodine is one of the elements discussed.

OP
OP
Lionfish 37

Lionfish 37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have a chance to read the recent post of @Rick Mathew on the Chemistry forum about ICP vs the Hanna Checker? Iodine is one of the elements discussed.
Can you perhaps post a link to that here. Kinda curious being as that I use Hanna Checkers.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you perhaps post a link to that here. Kinda curious being as that I use Hanna Checkers.
Here is the title. I keep getting an error message trying to send a link.

HOBBY GRADE TEST KITS CAN OUTPERFORM ICP MEASUREMENTS…REALLY??​

OP
OP
Lionfish 37

Lionfish 37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the title. I keep getting an error message trying to send a link.

HOBBY GRADE TEST KITS CAN OUTPERFORM ICP MEASUREMENTS…REALLY??​

That article now makes me feel like I wasted money on that ICP! Now I'm not sure if I should believe my iodine is high!

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's at 0.416 mg/L, normal range is 0.050-0.090. Everything seems happy except my Duncan.
Honestly doesn’t sound too bad. Are you dosing anything that could contain (high) iodine? You can gradually let the value come down. It’ll evaporate and is consumed pretty hefty

OP
OP
Lionfish 37

Lionfish 37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly doesn’t sound too bad. Are you dosing anything that could contain (high) iodine? You can gradually let the value come down. It’ll evaporate and is consumed pretty hefty
I'm only dosing All for Reef

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back