High Nitrate.. what to do

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my tank has been up and running for about a month so it is very new. Ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 50ppm. I know 50ppm is high but what is the ideal range? I added two clowns that have been in the tank almost a week now. I am doing 10% water changes once a week starting 2 weeks ago. I don’t see my nitrate dropping any. Do I need to do a bigger water change or dose something to bring it down to the ideal range?

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your tank is still very new and recently cycled, I would do a MUCH larger water change and test again. I don't know how large your tank is, but maybe a 50% water change, then give it a few hours or a day before you test again. If the test comes back the same, I might consider a different test kit.

For a fish only system 50ppm isnt a huge deal, but if you're going to be having a reef, most people try to have 5-10ppm and below.

You're to early in the game, IMO, to consider other methods of nitrate reduction outside of water changes.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my tank has been up and running for about a month so it is very new. Ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 50ppm. I know 50ppm is high but what is the ideal range? I added two clowns that have been in the tank almost a week now. I am doing 10% water changes once a week starting 2 weeks ago. I don’t see my nitrate dropping any. Do I need to do a bigger water change or dose something to bring it down to the ideal range?
I feel the ideal nitrate range is 5ppm to 30ppm. Unless the 50ppm is causing a problem, I would give it time on a new tank.

I would also point out that a 10% water change should drop your nitrates from 50ppm to 45ppm which is likely not within the accuracy of your test kit.

OP
OP
R

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your tank is still very new and recently cycled, I would do a MUCH larger water change and test again. I don't know how large your tank is, but maybe a 50% water change, then give it a few hours or a day before you test again. If the test comes back the same, I might consider a different test kit.

For a fish only system 50ppm isnt a huge deal, but if you're going to be having a reef, most people try to have 5-10ppm and below.

You're to early in the game, IMO, to consider other methods of nitrate reduction outside of water changes.
I have a 32 gal biocube. So a larger water change should help. Is this anything that would hurt for it to wait a week or so? I am having to order more salt.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @ChukeeR and @Brew12 do a weekly water changes and let the system ride.

Six months down the road, I would look at siprox, matrex, zeovit, bif bio fil to using in the sump for nitrate control.

8251reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates won't drop much with such a small water change especially on a newly cycled tank. Depending on tank volume I would recommend at least a 30-40% water change and go from there which should reduce the Nitrates to a more manageable level, also don't feed your clown's too much, that will just lead to more Nitrates in the end. Depending on what the Nitrates level are after a few months you could consider carbon dosing (NO3.po4 -x, vinegar, vodka, sugar etc) but I would caution against it right now as it can have some nasty affects on your tank inhabitants if not done correctly.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gal biocube. So a larger water change should help. Is this anything that would hurt for it to wait a week or so? I am having to order more salt.

Waiting a week at this point wouldn't be an issue if your only livestock is the clownfish. Once you get salt, maybe try changing 15 gallons of water, then give it half a day and test again. Might need to do a couple of these in a short span of time, but I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point as your only livestock is fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back