High nitrates after tank upgrade - please help

Dave Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I recently moved my fish and rock and coral from an established (3 year old) 20-gallon tank to a 70 gallon display + 20 gallon sump. I did not move my sand. I had a fair amount of livestock and coral for a 20g but for my new tank it looks pretty sparse. I put in Carabsea Arag-alive sand and I put in a bunch of new dry rock in my display and sump. In my small tank I had been dosing NOPOX to keep my nitrates and phosphates low (1 and 0.03) respectively. New tank has been up and running 3 weeks. I am not dosing anything. Phosphates = 0.06 and nitrates = 16. Nitrates too high? Too early to dose anything? KH =8 and Calc = 400. I am doing a 1 gallon per day water change. I have a big Octo skimmer and I have an algae reactor that has not sprouted any algae yet. I have filter socks that I change 2x per week.

lopez052308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you keep nitrates so low in the last tank? Nitrates at 15ppm is what I usually aim for. I don’t see to much of a problem. Where your corals thriving with 1ppm nitrate in the 20 gallon?

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New dry rock, if it wasn't properly cured, can emit lots of stuff into the water, including nitrates/phosphates. It's not too early to start carbon dosing if that's what you were doing in the previous tank. That or BioPellets would probably do a good job of reducing nutrients. It could also be that your algae reactor is undersized, but I have no clue. I primarily use Algae Scrubbers for nutrient export now.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Nitrates are nearly perfect.
I would leave it as it. It takes months for rock to establish denitryfying bacteria population

OP
OP
D

Dave Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Just sitting tight and will continue with my 1 gallon per day water changes and 2x per week filter sock changes

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 64 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back