High Nitrates and Frustration

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good detail at least we know it's not still accumulating. How about running nitrate absorbing media or setting up a plant refugium

What was left in solution after the feeding stopped has no natural export mechanisms because your tank is so new it will just circulate around in there until something happens decisively

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/8/chemistrychemistry

That is a great explanation as to why partial water changes are not helping

That article revolves around a running reef that presents many combo inputs/sustains for nitrate, so partial water changes didn't help much.

Your setup is different because it was a one-time source of nitrate now removed and a 50% water change should lower the rating by 50% since there is no continual input. If you are not getting fractional reductions based on your water changes it's because that's the best that test kit can do, and it's better than API for sure

Last edited:

Devon93274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a 20 percent water change every three days in till your chemistry becomes balanced. Run carbon filtration and become addicted to live rock. I remember my first 3 months I had trouble with my ammonia and nitrites. I just kept throwing live rock and kept up with water changes and now it feels like my tank is invincible. I'm a firm believer that reef tanks are not worthy until at least a year of maturity .

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good detail at least we know it's not still accumulating. How about running nitrate absorbing media or setting up a plant refugium

What was left in solution after the feeding stopped has no natural export mechanisms because your tank is so new it will just circulate around in there until something happens decisively

Well in increased water flow my Sicce synctra 5.0 was on the lowest setting, did not realize it could be ramped up. I have my protein skimmer running, and just added some Chaeto in the refugium.

I would do a 20 percent water change every three days in till your chemistry becomes balanced. Run carbon filtration and become addicted to live rock. I remember my first 3 months I had trouble with my ammonia and nitrites. I just kept throwing live rock and kept up with water changes and now it feels like my tank is invincible. I'm a firm believer that reef tanks are not worthy until at least a year of maturity .

I was doing water changes. I did 6 40 gallon changes in 2 weeks with little change in nitrates. Seeking different methods now because it add up in salt and time to do that for a 120 gallon tank. I have since stopped ghost feeding which hopefully was the root of my nitrate problem.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on that article I agree the caulerpa you have will help in time, the current nitrate levels aren't lethal to a cuc if you want some, and the skimmer won't help current nitrate reading but it will help prevent accumulation when you resume adding protein again to the system.

I cannot think of any way to pinpoint nitrate lower for you other than a massive water change which is impractical at this stage...I would just leave it as is and focus on the long term balances you may choose such as plants, carbon dosing or whatever your long term controls might be. I forgot the name but there are several media additions to filters that absorb nitrate as well

A really handy trick for you to consider is to take that very test kit to your local fish store and let them test another tank with it to compare readings, so you'll know baseline averages. Even red sea can over report, causing tank moves another kit may have said weren't needed.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have sand, don't worry about it, let the nitrate be utilized by the bacteria growing at the bottom of the sand that will result later in much better denitrification. Otherwise, nopox.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back