High nitrates help

HAPPY-REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I really need help on lowering nitrates.
i own the fluval flex 32 so it's a all in one tank. I have the Hannah high nitrates checker and red sea marine test kit and they both read 20 ppm. I have done 80% water changes multiple times, I have purchase a skimmers and now I'm dosing vinegar at night. And I'm trying chemi pure? What else could I try? I really wanna lower this before adding coral.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank, what is the livestock/feeding? 20ppm is not anything to worry about. Stop dosing and adding "fixes" find out why it is high, then take action. I aim for 15-20ppm.

99gtbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate was 60ppm the last time I checked it weeks ago. I have however started running macroalgium in my in-sump refugium, look into ways that you could add a refugium onto the tank you have.
71FB05DC-76D3-4E5D-9B70-E6261FC61A63.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was it before you started changing your water? 80pct change from 20 would bring it down to 5

99gtbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a beautiful tank
Thank you, surprisingly I’m pretty lazy with it, I do water changes at most once a week, i don’t vacuum my sand bed and I don’t dose it with anything either, I just feed my fish and corals and check my refugium. This tank is 10 years old tho, so eventually things do get easier to maintain.

OP
OP
HAPPY-REEF

HAPPY-REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was it before you started changing your water? 80pct change from 20 would bring it down to 5
The red sea kit was the first checker I got and before it said 50ppm and then I did waters changes and I bought skimmer and then I got the Hannah checker and that says 20ppm and now also the red sea say 20ppm so I did bring it down a little. Just not sure what's the next move. Like I feed once a day now to help out the levels.

OP
OP
HAPPY-REEF

HAPPY-REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, surprisingly I’m pretty lazy with it, I do water changes at most once a week, i don’t vacuum my sand bed and I don’t dose it with anything either, I just feed my fish and corals and check my refugium. This tank is 10 years old tho, so eventually things do get easier to maintain.
Yeah I do a 10% weekly water change and I'm happy to say about 4 months straight. I'm surprise I haven't got lazy yet but I'm also new to the hobby

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back