High nitrates in water column

Reefermadness2014

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been recording high levels of nitrates (40-80ppm) in my system which is approximately 180g including sump. I have recently dropped back on feeding plus have turned off the 80 watt uv light sterilizer that is in line.
I think between the two, it is probably the root cause of my problem with high nitrates.
Apparently by running the uv light 24/7 I have depleted most all of the bacteria in my system since big water changes make little difference in nitrate levels.
Coming in the next few days, I will have a reef octopus biochurn 200int in place and once established maybe then periodically run the the uv. Any comments regarding thoughts or opinions in the use of bio pellets or uv lights is greatly appreciated.
 
I am not so sure about the UV theory but a skimmer will definitely help along with some nice sized water changes and less feeding! :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new