High nitrates

Garold R Seifert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nuvo 20 running and using the API salt water test kit and my nitrates are reading around 80 and using salifert to test P04 at 0. I'm using cemi-pure blue and phos hard with filter floss. I also have 3 small Marine pure blocks. I also have a bunch of small bio balls that were already cycled from the previous owner. All my coral and fish are doing really good and I've been getting new heads growing. I did a 10 gallon water change and no change. I'm thinking my rodi water is bad. I'm using the aquatic life rodi system. I'm going to test the nitrates of it tonight using a API fresh water kit I have

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good thing about nitrates is that it rarely kills super fast. You could do a larger water change, but that would be redundant if there is nitrates in your rodi water, however I'm doubtful it's coming out at 80 ppm. In theory as long as you keep your substrate and rocks wet you won't harm your beneficial bacteria.

edit: I've had problems in the past with the api test kit accuracy

OP
OP
G

Garold R Seifert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good thing about nitrates is that it rarely kills super fast. You could do a larger water change, but that would be redundant if there is nitrates in your rodi water, however I'm doubtful it's coming out at 80 ppm. In theory as long as you keep your substrate and rocks wet you won't harm your beneficial bacteria.

edit: I've had problems in the past with the api test kit accuracy
That's good to hear. I'll test some bottled water also to see what that reads. I've heard that to about the API kit. What do you use to test? I was looking at the salifert no3 nitrate kit on Amazon so I'll have it by Friday. I'm using instant ocean reaf Crystal.

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing you mention there will get rid of nitrate.
Small Marine Pure blocks likely won't have enough anaerobic volume to achieve any significant denitrification.
Bioballs actually raise nitrate levels, by converting organics to nitrate before they can be removed by other means like skimming.
ChemiPure Blue is good stuff but won't directly absorb nitrate.
Your Phosguard is working as it should, but creating a big imbalance between nitrate and phosphate.
Because of this imbalance, biological methods of nutrient removal like a chaeto fuge or algae scrubber would stall due to not enough phosphate for the algae to grow.
Unless your tap water is really really high in nitrate, it's hard to see how RODI water could be the cause. What is the TDS of your RODI product water?
The water change likely did decrease the nitrate level, but the test kit you're using isn't sensitive enough to show you the change at the high range.
A series of partial water changes is the best way to get your nitrate down, under the conditions in your tank.
I'd suggest a 5 gallon change every day and keep testing until it comes down. The Salifert nitrate kit is ok; I use the Red Sea test.

OP
OP
G

Garold R Seifert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing you mention there will get rid of nitrate.
Small Marine Pure blocks likely won't have enough anaerobic volume to achieve any significant denitrification.
Bioballs actually raise nitrate levels, by converting organics to nitrate before they can be removed by other means like skimming.
ChemiPure Blue is good stuff but won't directly absorb nitrate.
Your Phosguard is working as it should, but creating a big imbalance between nitrate and phosphate.
Because of this imbalance, biological methods of nutrient removal like a chaeto fuge or algae scrubber would stall due to not enough phosphate for the algae to grow.
Unless your tap water is really really high in nitrate, it's hard to see how RODI water could be the cause. What is the TDS of your RODI product water?
The water change likely did decrease the nitrate level, but the test kit you're using isn't sensitive enough to show you the change at the high range.
A series of partial water changes is the best way to get your nitrate down, under the conditions in your tank.
I'd suggest a 5 gallon change every day and keep testing until it comes down. The Salifert nitrate kit is ok; I use the Red Sea test.
Thank you I have so much to learn still. I have a skimmer coming Friday. That should help keep the nitrates low once they are lowered?
The TDS is usually 0-6. I have well water so it might be high in nitrate. I'll test it tonight. Will taking the phosgaurd out help any?

Edit: is this the test kit you use?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAVVD6I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bZKlDbEDYTM2Y

OP
OP
G

Garold R Seifert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a emerald crab go missing like a week or two ago. I'm now thinking about it and think that might be the cause of the spike?

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I have so much to learn still. I have a skimmer coming Friday. That should help keep the nitrates low once they are lowered?
The TDS is usually 0-6. I have well water so it might be high in nitrate. I'll test it tonight. Will taking the phosgaurd out help any?

Skimmer will definitely help, by removing organics before they can be converted to nitrate and other inorganic molecules (the process is called mineralization.)
You want the TDS of the final water out of your RODI system to always be 0. If it's not, upgrades to the system might be in order.
Removing Phosguard won't help unless you're planning on starting a chaeto fuge or algae scrubber.

Yes that includes the nitrate test although you can buy just the nitrate test without the other tests in that kit.

Last edited:

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a emerald crab go missing like a week or two ago. I'm now thinking about it and think that might be the cause of the spike?

One dead emerald crab wouldn't give you that much nitrate. Honestly you probably wouldn't even notice the difference.

OP
OP
G

Garold R Seifert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer will definitely help, by removing organics before they can be converted to nitrate and other inorganic molecules (the process is called mineralization.)
You want the TDS of the final water out of your RODI system to always be 0. If it's not, upgrades to the system might be in order.
Removing Phosguard won't help unless you're planning on starting a chaeto fuge or algae scrubber.

Yes that includes the nitrate test although you can buy just the nitrate test without the other tests in that kit.

The TDS is 0 but tends to go up a bit as the di cartage depletes. I just got a new di cartage and will test TDS tonight along side nitrates in the ro water and tap water.

Will purigen help lower the nitriates?
Seachem Purigen for Freshwater & Saltwater (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075Z14L7V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pwMlDb4A10CVC

OP
OP
G

Garold R Seifert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing update. I tested my tap water at around 10-20 ppm. Distilled water from Walmart at 0ppm and 0-1 TDS. RO water I have been using for my ato at 0. and I had some water left over from the water change yesterday and that is testing around 5ppm. I just started making so fresh rodi water and tested the TDS at 20, and the nitrates at about 5ppm. So I think I found my problem then. I need to check my ro water more often I wonder how long its been like this.

I think I am going to guy buy like 20 gallons of distilled water and do a massive water change and see what that does for me.

OP
OP
G

Garold R Seifert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Almost a 100 percent water change only left like a inch for my two clowns to swim and nitrates are about 10-20 ppm. Ill be testing daily and see where this goes. I also ordered new filters for my rodi

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to get an inline TDS meter to install in your system.
Makes it super easy to check every time you start making new water.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Almost a 100 percent water change only left like a inch for my two clowns to swim and nitrates are about 10-20 ppm. Ill be testing daily and see where this goes. I also ordered new filters for my rodi
Glad to hear it's gone way down. I bet your corals and fish are a little happier lol

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 129 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back