High Nitrite/Nitrate - what now?

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just tested my water and both Nitrite and Nitrate are through the roof according to my test strip. They were still perfectly fine when I tested a week ago after which I did a partial water change.

I put some Ammonia Neutralizer in and will do a 25% water change - but what else do I need to look out for? According to the test strip they were at 160-200 an 10 ;Jawdrop can they get this high in just a week?

The fish behave fine, eating, swimming, ... but I'm super worried. What symptoms do I need to look out for?

Thanks, I've never had problems with high N levels before, this is new (and I'm still learning)

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry, my bad.

The tank is 5 weeks, fish in for one week. 40 gallons, two small fish (one trigger, one blenny). I'm using water provided by the local aquarium which according to people working there is good to put fish in right away and most certainly after 4 weeks running fallow.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just tested my water and both Nitrite and Nitrate are through the roof according to my test strip. They were still perfectly fine when I tested a week ago after which I did a partial water change.

I put some Ammonia Neutralizer in and will do a 25% water change - but what else do I need to look out for? According to the test strip they were at 160-200 an 10 ;Jawdrop can they get this high in just a week?

The fish behave fine, eating, swimming, ... but I'm super worried. What symptoms do I need to look out for?

Thanks, I've never had problems with high N levels before, this is new (and I'm still learning)

I suspect your tank isn't fully cycled if your showing Nitrite.

Begs the questions of how old is the tank, size and bio-load?

This^.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I suspect that, too even though the water should be fine (in theory) - but what now? What are the next steps?

Ammonia Neutralizer... Water change. Anything else at this point?

Symptoms to monitor for in the fish?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would proceed with bacteria in a bottle or some cured live rock. Try not to over feed and proceed with smaller more frequent water changes.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I suspect that, too even though the water should be fine (in theory) - but what now? What are the next steps?

Ammonia Neutralizer... Water change. Anything else at this point?

Symptoms to monitor for in the fish?

Water taken from an established system will not cycle a tank! Regardless what anyone tells you. The nitrifying bacteria need to establish themselves on all surfaces, sand, rock, tank walls, etc..... and that takes time.

You need to watch your ammonia very closely now. Even the smallest amount of it can do permanent damage to the gills of your fish.

If it's elevated, you have two choices....
One, add a water treatment such as amquel or prime to neutralize the ammonia or re-home your fish till your tank is fully cycled.

Fully cycled tank has no ammonia, nitrite and some nitrate.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry, my bad.

The tank is 5 weeks, fish in for one week. 40 gallons, two small fish (one trigger, one blenny). I'm using water provided by the local aquarium which according to people working there is good to put fish in right away and most certainly after 4 weeks running fallow.

That advice is in complete opposition to the suggestions I would make.

With no source of decay the bacterial bed is not going to grow, you have to have something to feed the bacteria. You add fish and the bacterial filter is not up to the task.

Water does not carry enough nitrifying bacteria to cycle a system in 4 weeks.

Any type of Trigger does not belong in a 40 gallon tank.

Don't get discouraged, huge learning curve in this hobby.

:)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water taken from an established system will not cycle a tank! Regardless what anyone tells you. The nitrifying bacteria need to establish themselves on all surfaces, sand, rock, tank walls, etc..... and that takes time.

You need to watch your ammonia very closely now. Even the smallest amount of it can do permanent damage to the gills of your fish.

If it's elevated, you have two choices....
One, add a water treatment such as amquel or prime to neutralize the ammonia or re-home your fish till your tank is fully cycled.

Fully cycled tank has no ammonia, nitrite and some nitrate.

:rolleyes: We were separated at birth right.:p

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, how big is that trigger right now? If it's a tiny one and you are planning on an upgrade in less than 6-8 months, I'd give you a pass. But if you aren't planning an upgrade, you should take that l'il guy back before you get attached. Not trying to be harsh at all. We've all been there. Just trying to help a fish friend and fellow fish keeper from any heartache.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're overburdening me. Please, please slow down just somewhat. I'm really still learning.

The trigger is less than 2 inch and obviously will be re-homed into a bigger tank eventually. :)

I already put Ammonia Neutralizer in (and some stress coat) and will do a water change in a short bit (i.e. later today). Should I add Prime in addition? Can too much of that do any harm?
I can't get live rock from where I live. Small water changes (small as in 10% 20%?) how often? How often re-newing the Prime?

I relied on advice of people who actually work in Aquaristik and she told me that I don't need Prime if I use the water from the Aquarium. I also had/have live sand. Please bear with me. Also, I may have this completely wrong, but I thought one DOES cycle with one or two hardy fish because otherwise there wouldn't be any waste for the bacteria to feed on and grow?

Oh, also, this may have come across wrong. The water ist NOT from an established tank but it's actually filtered/treated ocean water!

The levels might have been really high for a few days (it was exams week) and I may have been overfeeding a little bit. I hope I don't damage my fish Has it been too long already? How fast can I lower the levels with Prime?
So worried now. :(

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're overburdening me. Please, please slow down just somewhat. I'm really still learning.

The trigger is less than 2 inch and obviously will be re-homed into a bigger tank eventually. :)

I put Ammonia Neutralizer in and will do a water change in a short bit (i.e. later today). Should I add Prime in addition? Can too much of that do any harm?
I can't get live rock from where I live. Small water changes (small as in 10% 20%?) how often?

I relied on advice of people who actually work in Aquaristik and she told me that I don't need Prime if I use the water from the Aquarium. I also have live sand Please bear with me.

Oh, also, this may have come across wrong. The water ist NOT from an established aquarium but it's actually filtered/treated ocean water!

The levels might have been really high for a few days (it was exams week) and I may have been overfeeding a little bit. I hope I don't damage my fish So worried now.

Ammonia Neutralizer and Prime are probably basically the same thing. One or the other but not both IMO.

I would do 10% every other day for a couple days.

Makes no difference if the water is from the ocean or an established tank it does not carry enough beneficial bacteria to make a difference.

Your fish sound fine now so do not panic, re-home the trigger when possible.

Keep in mind that someone selling you a product might not have your best interest in mind. You came to the right place, depth breaths.

:)

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local oceanarium wasn't selling me anything :) (the person I was talking to was actually discouraging me from buying Prime)

I'm not sure if the trigger is breathing harder. He otherwise seems normal, swimming, feeding, looking for food ....but he has the mouth open all the time which I haven't noticed before (but I may just be over-reacting right now). I don't notice anything in the blenny, no harder breathing or anything. Both behave normal, otherwise...swimming, both were feeding just earlier, ...

Can't re-home them. Wouldn't know where to.

So, I added the correct ammount Ammonia Neutralizer just earlier. If I do a 25% water change just now, should I add some more or leave it be for a moment? I mean, levels were really really high if they were at 200 for Nitrate and 10 for Nitrite (which is the worse one, right?). So I need to lover them ASAP.

(And before anyone asks - I wanted to pick up a Master test kit today, but they don't have them at our local petshop, no other source here, and Amazon doesn't ship to my location, so I have to rely on test-stripes)

Oh, and please don't worry, as I said, the trigger will get a bigger tank eventually. We've already talked about that :) https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tankmates-for-rectangular-trigger.385271/

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just to re-cap:

I'll continue to do 10% water change every other day.

How often should I add Prime? Everytime I change water? Everytime I measure Ammonia? Should I check parameters every day? Twice a day?

Edit:

Wait, I just learnt from my friend that "Prime" isn't actually bacteria but chemical like "Ammonia Neutralizer". Here I was all the time thinking "Prime" is the bacteria ("Quickstart"). I'm so confused.

This is what I have. I used the Ammonia Neutralizer, earlier. Which would essentially be "Prime" if I understand correctly, now?

She also recommended to add the bacteria (i.e. the Quickstart). Yes? No?

Last edited:

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered adding Dr. Tim's bacteria? Also, don't test nitrate until nitrite is 0ppm, you are getting a false reading on nitrate if there is nitrite in the tank.

Yes, test ammonia every day and only add the prime if you see it getting approaching a toxic level. You can test nitrite every few days because this is not toxic to saltwater fish. Don't bother testing for nitrate until you fix the other stuff.

The biggest thing you can do is be patient and don't make things worse by overreacting since you can't relocate your fish. Have you asked the LFS to take them back for a few weeks while you sort this out?

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intent was NOT to overwhelm you. I apologise if that's what I did. @Islandreeflife is giving you good advice, take it. And he is spot on about overreacting. Patience is key. If I have a problem I always poll the audience here on a forum before I jump the gun. That applies from stocking questions all the way to parameter and pest questions. You are going to get through this. Promise.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

)

I'm not sure what method your strips are using (and strips aren't generally a good way to test anyway).

With some types of nitrate test kits, That may just mean you have nitrite and not necessarily nitrate. 1 ppm nitrite can falsely show as 100 ppm nitrate. If nitrite is still significantly elevated, don't even bother checking for nitrate. :)

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, ok. Talk about steep learning curve. Again, to re-cap

If not Ammonia, what am I testing with the Nitrite/Nitrate readings? I was using the 5in1 API test-strips. Point taken about them not being accurate - will pick up something else today, but from what I recall from my freshwater tank I had a while ago, they also only give you Nitrite/Nitrate???

Nitrite is not toxic, so while trying to keep those levels low, nothing to freak out over, correct?

Nitrate is high as long as Ammonia/Nitrite is high. Also, there should always be some Nitrate, because the Nitrite is turned into Nitrate by the bacteria.

Sorry, I'm a biologist, but I suck at chemistry. :oops:

I added some bacteria (Quickstart) yesterday after the water change. Will pick up something better to test values today, test again, and will proceed with a 10% water change tomorrow. Have also reduced the food somewhat. The LFS can't take them back as they were already holding the fish for me for several weeks and it involves shipping (oh the perks of living on an island)

Again, Thank you so much for all your help!!! This is really appreciated

Oh, one PS: I did use live sand, but I put a small layer of fine-grained sand from the stock over it for looks. Could that have killed any beneficial bacteria or reduced access?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back