High NO3, low PO4. Help my lowering NO3

reefin_with_the_fam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reef fam! Need some direction and help. I’ve finally gotten into the habit of testing NO3 and PO4 a few times a week, and my NO3 is 61 ppm

I have my PO4 dialed in to around 0.04-0.09 using GFO.

The question is, how can I lower my NO3? I’ve been looking at NOPOX, but will that lower my PO4 as well? Any help, direction, and experience is greatly appreciated!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing (i.e. nopox; alternatively biopellets) is pretty effective at lowering nitrates without doing too much for phosphate. Macroalgae would be another options and may allow you to not have to use gfo.

OP
OP
reefin_with_the_fam

reefin_with_the_fam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large water change 50%+ and/or carbon dosing ie nopox, vodka or vinegar I would take it slow as your system has probably adjusted to the high no3.
If I go the carbon dosing route how slow would you recommend? I’ve seen 1/3 the initial recommended dose for NOPOX thrown around the forums a bit.

OP
OP
reefin_with_the_fam

reefin_with_the_fam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing (i.e. nopox; alternatively biopellets) is pretty effective at lowering nitrates without doing too much for phosphate. Macroalgae would be another options and may allow you to not have to use gfo.
I’d love to do some macro, but I’ve never had luck with it for some reason. It always just comes apart in my sump (chaeto that is).

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go the carbon dosing route how slow would you recommend? I’ve seen 1/3 the initial recommended dose for NOPOX thrown around the forums a bit.
Super low up to a 1/4 of the recommended dose

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox is basically ethanol (like 80proof vodka) with vinegar. If you jump over the RHF forums you can make your own recipe off what's listed there

I believe the basic formula is:
2 part 80 proof vodka
1 part 5% Vinegar
Rest RODI at (?) amt

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back