High pH after waterchange and adding a few frags

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH is measuring at 8.5

I purchased a SenEye to use as a par meter, and i threw it in the water to monitor. I did a 15% water change yesterday and added my first ever coral frags, One opened up super quick and seemed to be doing amazing (Hammer). A few of the Polyps on the Zoa opened up, and it took a few hours for the Star Polyps to open but it started to.

My question is, i have never had a pH that high. I know testing is only so accurate, but it has always been between 8.2 and 8.4 with my ATI test kit. Should i be worried? Maybe the test is off? Maybe the Seneye is off? It's hard to tell how things are doing as the fish were still sleeping when i went to work, but they were acting fine last night.

Thanks!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calibrated Seneye? I’ve found it to be wildly inaccurate out of the box when it comes to ph which I check against several other ph meters.

OP
OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it appears to still be going up.

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calibrated Seneye? I’ve found it to be wildly inaccurate out of the box when it comes to ph which I check against several other ph meters.
I have not. I will have to look up how to calibrate it! Unless you remember off the top of your head, If it's the leaving the slide in water i left it in over night.

OP
OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about 8.5 if it were correct but That’s unlikely unless you’re dosing kalk?

IME seneye would go up to almost 9 when in reality my ph was below 8.

You can get a cheap ph meter on amazon for under $20, I’ve found them to be accurate at least in the short term. Most can be calibrated.

OP
OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about 8.5 if it were correct but That’s highly unlikely unless you’re dosing kalk?

IME seneye would go up to almost 9 when in reality my ph was below 8.

You can get a cheap ph meter on amazon for under $20, I’ve found them to be accurate at least in the short term. Most can be calibrated.
I'm not dossing Kalk yet, but i had planned on it soonish.

And the ATI test kit with water changing color, isn't 100% accurate, but it measured between 8.2 and 8.4

Come to think of it, i have a Hot Tub and i'm pretty sure it came with a pH test strip.. Maybe i can try that one and see what it reads.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general color changing kits are less accurate than ph meters. But I’d trust it over Seneye. Haven’t had great experience with either temp or ph on the meter without making adjustments. I’ve used it as a par meter and for ammonia in unmedicated QTs (although I cant be sure that it works for ammonia either...) but hoped in a catastrophic case it would alert me.

OP
OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general color changing kits are less accurate than ph meters. But I’d trust it over Seneye. Haven’t had great experience with either temp or ph on the meter without making adjustments. I’ve used it as a par meter and for ammonia in unmedicated QTs (although I cant be sure that it works for ammonia either...) but hoped in a catastrophic case it would alert me.
Okay. Ill just adjust it then. I did notice the temp seemed pretty far off. I keep my ATO heated as well as the tank. Heaters set to about 80. I don't keep my heat up very high at night, and it gets cold but I check my temp with 2 other thermometers and it's between 78.5-80 every morning and Seneye was trying to tell me it was 75. Granted I just tossed the whole thing in the DT and it's almost at the sand bed... But I highly doubt the water temp is that much colder at the bottom.. I do have a deep tank (30 inch) but still. Ill adjust it closer to the color change test kit. Ultimately I'm not that worried, but I did plan on dossing kalkwasser I'm my ATO in the next while since I'm finally buying corala., Didn't want my pH to get too crazy high

Thank you for your input!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back