High pH, low kH... Huh?

TheoScapes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

My pH is very high (between 8.5 and 9) while my kH is very low (5.7).

Are there any DIY remedies (soda ash etc) that would work here short term and anything I can dose long term?

Thanks,
T

OP
OP
TheoScapes

TheoScapes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kH with Salifert, pH with a local brand that's pretty cheap, but has been steady at 8.5 until two days ago when it started to go up.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your salinity and what salt are you using ?

as mentioned by randy . Ph that high is very unlikely . But before dosing to bring all up I would confirm the test with another and see if you get the same numbers .

if salinity is 1.025-1.026 Alk that low only means you would have tons of something consuming it .

OP
OP
TheoScapes

TheoScapes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Red Sea blue bucket and recently (post low alkalinity numbers) switched over to Fauna Marin's Meersalz.

I've always kept my salinity at 1.026.

I tested the alkalinity of my salt mix at 1.026 before adding it to the tank with the same test kit I use on my tank and it read 8 dkh, so I'm pretty sure the Salifert is accurate.

But I've also only got LPS and softies in my tank so don't know what could be so hungry for all?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Red Sea blue bucket and recently (post low alkalinity numbers) switched over to Fauna Marin's Meersalz.

I've always kept my salinity at 1.026.

I tested the alkalinity of my salt mix at 1.026 before adding it to the tank with the same test kit I use on my tank and it read 8 dkh, so I'm pretty sure the Salifert is accurate.

But I've also only got LPS and softies in my tank so don't know what could be so hungry for all?
Coralline algae ?

if the Alk is that low , even adding new water with dkh 8 will not increase it unless you’re to do large water changes .

I’d dose 2 part once you are sure the test kit is accurate and get it up to your target .

OP
OP
TheoScapes

TheoScapes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice!

Only problem is I live in Vietnam and you don't get two-part here unfortunately. So I'm on the hunt for DIY remedies or alternatives.

My options are pretty much Red Sea Foundations, All for Reef, or Fauna Marin balling series.

Or doing Soda Ash in my ATO, but I'm hesitant because I haven't used it before and don't know how soda ash will further affect my pH.

No coralline algae yet (after 5 months) which is in itself worrying...

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice!

Only problem is I live in Vietnam and you don't get two-part here unfortunately. So I'm on the hunt for DIY remedies or alternatives.

My options are pretty much Red Sea Foundations, All for Reef, or Fauna Marin balling series.

Or doing Soda Ash in my ATO, but I'm hesitant because I haven't used it before and don't know how soda ash will further affect my pH.

No coralline algae yet (after 5 months) which is in itself worrying...
Look through @Randy Holmes-Farley has a recipe for diy 2 part

Alk part is essentially baking soda mixed with rodi water

Dow flakes might be easy to find ( I can’t find them in Canada ) for the calcium part .

baking soda ( sodium bicarbonate ) or soda ash ( baked baking soda ) should be easy to find anywhere

OP
OP
TheoScapes

TheoScapes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much- I'll do that.

I guess I was just hesitant because I'd never done it before and am relatively new to the hobby. Don't want to mess anything up.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a calculator above that I find the easiest to use

knowing the volume of your system as close to accurate as possible is best .
For example I clicked on baking soda in the product list , and made up the Alk dkh to be 7.5 with desired level to be 8

Attachments

• FF67AC4E-4EEB-4B74-BFEC-2DA69C1D8A5D.png
    FF67AC4E-4EEB-4B74-BFEC-2DA69C1D8A5D.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 25

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
I just tested the pH with another test kit and it reads 8.4.

Can you recommend any additives that won't raise pH but raise dkh?

Baking soda/Sodium bicarbonate (and any products made from it), Salifert All in one (calcium acetate) and Tropic Marin All for Reef (calcium formate). :)

Back