High pH

tpv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions on what I should do to lower the pH in my tank. Has consistently been testing at like 8.6 with the Red Sea test kit since I setup the tank a month ago. Any suggestions on what to do?
IMG_7227.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, pH is NEVER too high in a reef tank that gets any reasonable aeration and is not dosing high pH alkalinity additives.

I would not assume it is correct, but if somehow it is, it is not worth doing anything about.

OP
OP
T

tpv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! I did just perform an alkalinity test which seems way low, tested at only 3 dKH before the test overdosed. Any products you recommend using to get this up?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! I did just perform an alkalinity test which seems way low, tested at only 3 dKH before the test overdosed. Any products you recommend using to get this up?
You got a pic of the tank, that Alkalinity don't sound right.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking but yes here’s the tank!
image.jpg
What Alk test are you using? Is it possible you are using it upside down? ie, reading a syringe backwards or converting it to a chart back to front?

OP
OP
T

tpv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Alk test are you using? Is it possible you are using it upside down? ie, reading a syringe backwards or converting it to a chart back to front?
using the red sea marine kit, started off with 5ml of tank water, added the single drop of titrant to change the water blue, added a single drop at a time after that shaking the solution 10sec at a time. 6th drop turned solution green, 7th drop turned it yellow. From what it looks like their chart says it would be 3
image.jpg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using the red sea marine kit, started off with 5ml of tank water, added the single drop of titrant to change the water blue, added a single drop at a time after that shaking the solution 10sec at a time. 6th drop turned solution green, 7th drop turned it yellow. From what it looks like their chart says it would be 3
image.jpg
So is the other resolution tested with 10mls of tank water? I think you are mixing them up.

OP
OP
T

tpv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Sorry you are correct I did mix them up, with that being said it’s at 6. Ideal is normally 8-12 right?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you are correct I did mix them up, with that being said it’s at 6. Ideal is normally 8-12 right?
Lots of folk run those, yes. Before you mess about with that however you need to be sure of your salinity, how are you checking that?

OP
OP
T

tpv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of folk run those, yes. Before you mess about with that however you need to be sure of your salinity, how are you checking that?
handheld refractometer, I haven’t check the salinity in about 2 weeks, just been added RO/DI water to top off and weekly water changes. Would high salinity = low alkalinity or vice versa?

OP
OP
T

tpv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vice versa, lol
just did 3 different tests in different areas of the tank and salinity is a little high at .4 (my mixing is normally .35-.36) but the tank will be due for top off tomorrow

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just did 3 different tests in different areas of the tank and salinity is a little high at .4 (my mixing is normally .35-.36) but the tank will be due for top off tomorrow
I strongly suggest making Randy's DIY salinity standard. It costs pennies;

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What does that mean? I cannot think of any units of measure where those numbers apply to salinity. :)

Do you mean 40 ppt?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before measuring anything, get salinity on point or everything else will be out.
34-35ppt is the target you seek.

RODI top off should be very frequent if you intend to have a stable environment, otherwise, fluxes will simply cause you grief over time, and make corals very unhappy.

Consider an ATO to do that maintenance for you, this device will keep your salinity stable.

Mine comes on every 15 ish minutes and holds salinity at 35ppt without any help from me other than filling the RODI bucket, once per week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tpv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before measuring anything, get salinity on point or everything else will be out.
34-35ppt is the target you seek.

Then, go about your tests.
Thanks! Water top off tomorrow should fix the salinity being high at 40!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back