High PH

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm measuring PH off a PH meter and I assume it gives faily accurate results. Measured my LFS tank water to get 8.3 and 8.1.

I have had my PH around 8.3-8.2 while I was maintaining a low DKH of 7. But the thing is when I tries to elavate my DKH my PH shoots up like crazy.

I have switched to Aqua forest KH buffer about one month ago and I slowly started to raise my DKH to about 8-8.5 range. The problem(I don't even know if its a problem or acctually great) is that I'm measring about 8.6 PH day time and about 8.45 PH night time. These seem really too high PH values for raising DKH 1.5 points...

Have a DIY ATS, and skimmer running for filteration..

Do you guys think it a bit too high PH lvl that I should be worried about it ? Should I keep trying to raise and maintain a DKH of about 8.5 ??

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm measuring PH off a PH meter and I assume it gives faily accurate results. Measured my LFS tank water to get 8.3 and 8.1.

I have had my PH around 8.3-8.2 while I was maintaining a low DKH of 7. But the thing is when I tries to elavate my DKH my PH shoots up like crazy.

I have switched to Aqua forest KH buffer about one month ago and I slowly started to raise my DKH to about 8-8.5 range. The problem(I don't even know if its a problem or acctually great) is that I'm measring about 8.6 PH day time and about 8.45 PH night time. These seem really too high PH values for raising DKH 1.5 points...

Have a DIY ATS, and skimmer running for filteration..

Do you guys think it a bit too high PH lvl that I should be worried about it ? Should I keep trying to raise and maintain a DKH of about 8.5 ??
I would get a different ph test and see what it tells you. My bet is that it will tell you something different. But I wouldn't panic about a ph of 8.6. I think your livestock can handle that so long as it is not wildly fluctuating.

Honestly, I use API for ph. I think it is accurate enough and matches my Apex ph reading. But any test, no mater how expensive, can be wrong either by manufacturer or by the user. Bad calibration or not storing properly.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If 8.6 is accurate i believe increased aeration should lower it. I dont think in a tank with adequate aeration and dkh at levels you talking about you should see an 8.6 ph value.

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a different ph test and see what it tells you. My bet is that it will tell you something different. But I wouldn't panic about a ph of 8.6. I think your livestock can handle that so long as it is not wildly fluctuating.

Honestly, I use API for ph. I think it is accurate enough and matches my Apex ph reading. But any test, no mater how expensive, can be wrong either by manufacturer or by the user. Bad calibration or not storing properly.

As my LFS corals tanks are at 8.3 and 8.1 PH from the same tester, I don't think my PH meter is way off in accuracy.

I should Point out btw, I don't use RODI water, but tap water thats been stored in a holding tank for few weeks. IT has 0 Nitrates and Phospates but I think it might have a tab too high PH maybe..

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my LFS corals tanks are at 8.3 and 8.1 PH from the same tester, I don't think my PH meter is way off in accuracy.

I should Point out btw, I don't use RODI water, but tap water thats been stored in a holding tank for few weeks. IT has 0 Nitrates and Phospates but I think it might have a tab too high PH maybe..

The PH being high in your tapwater may make sense because I would assume it would be high alkalinity, but it does not seem like your alk is high. Have you verified your alkalinity test?

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humm I have always had this alk test kit and didn't think it was off. Anyway the problem start with a few poits of bumps in the alk. So ...

IS 8.6 PH bad btw ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back