High phosphate and low nitrate

MikeDesjean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I recently had a green hair algae outbreak in my 20 gallon cube. It was being kept at bay for a while but it took off. In the past I have run Reef Hulk, not that exact brand but what my local lfs had in stock which was reef flux 400. I had run it before and it worked wonders, but this time around I don't think I took out enough of it manually before dosing. It has been running for 2 weeks now with the reef flux, but i noticed last night that my duncan and birds nest were closed up, so I tested the water. all parameters where tested with new reef masters kit except for phosphate which was a Hanna tester.
Temp- 79.2
Alk-9
Ph- stable at 7.8-8
Calc- 480
nitrate- 1
Phos- .43

The tank is 9 months old now. looks great other wise besides the GHA and corals are all growing really well. So my questions are,
- Should I just do water change and and put carbon back in and add more blue legs than my 5-6 I have now
- add mircobacter 7 after water change to lower phos a little?

-Should I add microbacter now to lower slightly now before I change tomorrow?

It seems to be that the GHA is being killed off created phos as well as it not processing it and growing. But why is nitrate not rising at the same rate? I dont want to leave it the last week because it don't want to have the phos any higher than it is right now!

Thanks,
Mike

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 57 43.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back