High Phosphate Levels and Low PH/ALK

jbozarth78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having issues with phosphate levels in my saltwater tank. Phosphate is showing at 2.5 and wanting to reduce. This is in a 25 gallon tank. I know I should do a water change to start, but how much would you recommend?

Also noticing my PH/ALK is low (or at least I believe). Been dosing about 1 ml of alk daily to try to bring up my PH. Tank has been live about 3 months now. I have 2 clowns, a shrimp and a couple coral (hammer and gsp). Everything seems to be doing fine, but wanting to prevent anything happening. Did a 20 % water change last Saturday.

Water Test from LFS today:

Salinity - 1.025
Alk - 7
PH - 7.5
Phos - 2.5
Cal - 383
Mag - 1303
Ammo - 0
Nitrite - 0.1
Nitrate - 56

Any information is appreciate. Happy Holidays everyone!

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use either pho’s E or blue life rx…phosphates could be bond to the rock or sandbed…when doing water changes it will lower phosphates from the water column but than will keep on leaching from the rock

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having issues with phosphate levels in my saltwater tank. Phosphate is showing at 2.5 and wanting to reduce. This is in a 25 gallon tank. I know I should do a water change to start, but how much would you recommend?

Also noticing my PH/ALK is low (or at least I believe). Been dosing about 1 ml of alk daily to try to bring up my PH. Tank has been live about 3 months now. I have 2 clowns, a shrimp and a couple coral (hammer and gsp). Everything seems to be doing fine, but wanting to prevent anything happening. Did a 20 % water change last Saturday.

Water Test from LFS today:

Salinity - 1.025
Alk - 7
PH - 7.5
Phos - 2.5
Cal - 383
Mag - 1303
Ammo - 0
Nitrite - 0.1
Nitrate - 56

Any information is appreciate. Happy Holidays everyone!
You can reduce phosphates with water changes, chemically or with GFO media

The harder thing to deal with is your elevated nitrates.

If you start making big water changes to lower your nitrates, then don’t let your phosphates get lower than about .3 - .5ppm

I’d dose up your calcium and and alk levels.

PH Test:
Take a water sample (in a cup) outside for about 1.5 hours and if you have a air pump then push bubbles on your outside water sample as well. If the sample raises in ph after that test, then your dealing with trapped in co2 levels in your home.

I open our home’s windows fairly often to get co2 out of the house.

Some reefers use an co2 scrubber attached to their protein skimmer or they dose kalk.

Got to know what your doing while dosing Kalkwasser.

For the most part:
PH levels are driven by alkalinity and co2 levels.

Your going to need to test often and find ways to deal with elevated phosphates and nitrates over the long haul.

If you don’t have one:
Get a 4 stage RO/DI system with a built in TDS meter. Use that pure RO/DI water for mixing salt and for your top off water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back