High phosphate & Nitrates?

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am trying to figure out to cause as the what’s wrong with my torch coral. It has been closed up for a couple of days now,(granted this pic is over night with lights off.) I tested my nitrates and phosphates, Nitrates at 18 and phosphates at 0.75.. Both are a high correct? I’m not running a skimmer, and have been relying on weekly water changes for a week now. Should I dose anything, add more cleanup crew, change my filtration setup? Any advice/help is appreciated as I would rather not lose my torch haha

OP
OP
T

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8837.png

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one head is gone, I can't tell if what's left is remnants of the flesh or BJD (brown jelly disease).

The nitrates are ok, many keep them within 10-20. The phosphate is very high if that is the correct reading. What test kit did you use? You want to try and keep po4 between .03 and .1.

I use Seachem Phosguard to reduce po4 since it comes in a package for 30 gallons. I rarely need to fight high po4 and it's available at Petco.

OP
OP
T

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one head is gone, I can't tell if what's left is remnants of the flesh or BJD (brown jelly disease).

The nitrates are ok, many keep them within 10-20. The phosphate is very high if that is the correct reading. What test kit did you use? You want to try and keep po4 between .03 and .1.

I use Seachem Phosguard to reduce po4 since it comes in a package for 30 gallons. I rarely need to fight high po4 and it's available at Petco.
I think it’s mostly BJD left of the one head I just got the Red Sea phosphate test kit and that’s what I used. Previously I had been using API which never showed any issues with po4.. Maybe I should definitely test again today. Sweet, I will definitely look into that!

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
BJD is no joke, you need to frag and discard the infected head and see if you can save the other

OP
OP
T

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am trying to figure out to cause as the what’s wrong with my torch coral. It has been closed up for a couple of days now,(granted this pic is over night with lights off.) I tested my nitrates and phosphates, Nitrates at 18 and phosphates at 0.75.. Both are a high correct? I’m not running a skimmer, and have been relying on weekly water changes for a week now. Should I dose anything, add more cleanup crew, change my filtration setup? Any advice/help is appreciated as I would rather not lose my torch haha
Good lord I should’ve proof read, it was a little early. * the cause as to *year now not a week

OP
OP
T

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD is no joke, you need to frag and discard the infected head and see if you can save the other
Do you recommend any specific treatments I can act on asap? I keep seeing people recommend kung fu dip, which I can order everything for, but it’s not going to be here for a couple of days..

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, KFC dip would be great if you could get it in time. I have a shoebox with KFC written on it and with all the ingredients so I have it on hand. In the meantime you could do an iodine dip with Lugol’s if you have it on hand. Definitely frag the dead head. Phosphates need addressed, first I would take a water sample to a lfs and confirm the level and rule out user error or a bad test kit. Are you using a RO/DI unit to make water. Other sources of water could be adding phosphates. What size is your tank and what live stock do you have. Feeding regime? Larger and more frequent water changes are needed now and then back to weekly.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend any specific treatments I can act on asap? I keep seeing people recommend kung fu dip, which I can order everything for, but it’s not going to be here for a couple of days..
i use Lugols iodine. it has worked great on one of my hammers that had BJD

Attachments

• IMG_2229.jpeg
    IMG_2229.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
T

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, KFC dip would be great if you could get it in time. I have a shoebox with KFC written on it and with all the ingredients so I have it on hand. In the meantime you could do an iodine dip with Lugol’s if you have it on hand. Definitely frag the dead head. Phosphates need addressed, first I would take a water sample to a lfs and confirm the level and rule out user error or a bad test kit. Are you using a RO/DI unit to make water. Other sources of water could be adding phosphates. What size is your tank and what live stock do you have. Feeding regime? Larger and more frequent water changes are needed now and then back to weekly.
Perfect, I do so I will definitely try that and go ahead and buy the ingredients for KFC also. Will help me be prepared next time, either way. I’m going to test again and if still high, I will definitely do that! I have a 4 stage unit from BRS. I tested some fresh RO water yesterday, it was at 15ppm so I’m starting to wonder if it’s time to change filters. I ordered them as well anyway.. Last time I tested, it was at 2 ppm so quite the jump… it’s fluval flex, 32.5g tank. Currently houses 2 clowns, pistol/watchmen, royal gramma, and 2 damsels. All have been together for just under a year. I switch it up between frozen brine/mysis shrimp, usually a block every other day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back