High phosphates and Nitrates?

Kustom71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are alot of questions about this topic but i dont know if i have seen my question asked or maybe i just missed it but here goes
If i start a refugium with new cheato and the correct lighting wouldnt that by itself help to tame phosphates and nitrates?
I think ive read that those 2 things are whats used by macroalgea to grow and thrive resulting in lowered numbers of each.
Thanks

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium is mostly used for nutrient control by consumption of both phosphates and nitrates.
When you remove algae from the refuge you essentially exporting nutrients out of the system and let more grow out, consume even more NO3, PO4 and so on and so forth.

It will also consume other elements such as Iron and Magnesium, so you'll have to replenish them to make sure the levels are correct.

Other benefits of using a refuge is to slightly raise the PH at night, as well as to cause algae to grow in place in your control.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are alot of questions about this topic but i dont know if i have seen my question asked or maybe i just missed it but here goes
If i start a refugium with new cheato and the correct lighting wouldnt that by itself help to tame phosphates and nitrates?
I think ive read that those 2 things are whats used by macroalgea to grow and thrive resulting in lowered numbers of each.
Thanks
Yes. Do you have lots of algae in the display?

OP
OP
K

Kustom71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Do you have lots of algae in the display?
I don't right now
I dosed hydrogen peroxide a month ago got rid of all algea and did a 30 gallon water change.
90 gallon tank about 110 total volume of water with sump.
I'm gonna test tomorrow I haven't been home much and see where I'm at bit algea is slowly creeping back on rocks.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes it would! Just be careful not to bottom out your nutrients and dose appropriate. This is my low nutrient macroalgae/NPS tank with a purple reef lobster.
5454C97D-D484-419F-9167-B08F4F4EAD6D.jpeg

OP
OP
K

Kustom71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got new chaeto and copepods and dosed photo and had an outbreak of green hair algea so now I'm removing Chattooga and dosing g peroxide to try to get myself back to some kind of normal

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back