High phosphates

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed LC into a tank with no socks - it was fine... even long term (it was like two years ago, so medium term). Socks are probably better, but we did not do it. The stuff is powerful and strong... go slow. I would take like 3 months to lower this all of the way.

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most main causes of high P are dead/dry rock being bound with terrestrial phosphate which is now unbinding in your tank. Older tanks can have problems because the rock and sand bound it for a long time and disguised poor export/husbandry - this can sometimes take years.

In any case, if you have a lot in the water column, you can bet that there is a ton more bound to the rocks and sand. Once you remove some from the water column, some will unbind from the aragonite and it will look like you did not do anything, but you did... this can take a long time to get down and stay down. Try and avoid removing so much that the tank level drops really low in a spike and then spikes back up once the aragonite releases.

I would use Lan Chloride for large amounts. It is cheaper and easy to use, but you must have a good skimmer. Go slow. A drop once or twice a day might be enough - this can take months, but it did not get high overnight, so just embrace the journey. :)

Also, if you are going to chase P lower, get a good testing tool like Hannah Ultra Low.
Thanks for this, it is very interesting. My PO4 has been in the .37-.31 range since I started checking (Hannah). I suppose it’s on the high side, but everything is growing, nothing is struggling, no real algae issues, and it’s been really consistent for months.

I feed Reef Roids, often but in very small amounts, and don’t dose anything. Maybe it’s the dry rock and life rock leaching out.

Not sure if I need to try to lower or roll with it. I’d rather not create a new problem trying to solve a current non-problem. Thoughts?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this, it is very interesting. My PO4 has been in the .37-.31 range since I started checking (Hannah). I suppose it’s on the high side, but everything is growing, nothing is struggling, no real algae issues, and it’s been really consistent for months.

I feed Reef Roids, often but in very small amounts, and don’t dose anything. Maybe it’s the dry rock and life rock leaching out.

Not sure if I need to try to lower or roll with it. I’d rather not create a new problem trying to solve a current non-problem. Thoughts?
That po4 is taken down by algae scrubber/ reactor in no time permanently

jenniferreichardt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed LC into a tank with no socks - it was fine... even long term (it was like two years ago, so medium term). Socks are probably better, but we did not do it. The stuff is powerful and strong... go slow. I would take like 3 months to lower this all of the way.
I’m going to start dosing on Jan 1. I’ll be honest I’m very nervous that I’ll drop it too fast. My water volume is 180 gallons. I’m using phosphate rx. Would you help me by explaining to me how much to use/dilute/frequency of dosing?

mofebubi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just texted for phosphates and they are highest color on the measurement thing. I know how to get them down through water changes and stuff but are they as bad as nitrates when the nitrates are high? Or should I change the water as soon as possible? Cause my fish and inverts seem to be doing fine.
This product is 100% effective and gets your PO4 down till 0.04.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a dropper bottle and do like maybe 5 drops a day and measure for a week, or so. You can drop it down the overflow into your sock, or even into the sump so that the skimmer has the first crack at the flocculant. Maybe 10 drops (about .5 ml) a day if that works?

You should barely be noticing the levels go down day to day but they should be going down week to week. Spend several months on this. Removing P is no issue, but removing it too quickly can be. It did not get high overnight, so don't lower it overnight either.

The instructions are to dilute it down and stuff, but I don't... just add small quantities direct. You can dilute it, but still go slow.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
If you need to remove it immediately run GFO. If you want a long term solution run some Chaeto and let it pull your phosphates naturally

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way to remove it immediately. All that you can do is to remove a lot from the water quickly, but the rock and sand will unbind and fill the water back up again. This kind of roller coaster swing is exactly what harms corals. Wether using GFO or LC, you have to go slow so that you absorb about as fast as the rock releases.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do feed pellets to my fish but they eat all of them I have a pretty huge clownfish and threee pajamas. And a ywg eats them too. Actually everything in my tank eats the pellets. So I don’t think that’s the problem.
I feed pellets to my fish too and my po4 is thru the roof. I stopped and the po4 went down after gfo. I don't feed pellets every day like I used to I am frozen and flake. Pellets maybe once a week and I run gfo. now instead of seeing 0.50 I am @ 0.03 - 0.07

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't know how fast the rock releases. There is no way to know - depends on concentration, surface area and other things that are not measurable. That is why you go slow and measure.

CloniKo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back