High Phosphorus Reading from ICP.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help!
I sent water samples to ICP last week but didn't add the Sample numbers on the app to the sample tubes. I got an e-mail explaining the Proper way to do it and I followed the directions and replied to the email with the sample numbers.
I just got my results today and I'm thrown by the phosphorus reading. 179.73 ppb which if I convert using the Hanna conversion chart formula translates to 0.551?
I immediately tested my water with Salifert and that shows 0 to 0.03 (leans more to zero)
My Hanna ULR is showing 22ppb and 23 ppb on the two test I did. I haven't done a water change since I sent in the sample and I'm not running anything to reduce phosphates.
Any ideas?
I'm thinking my sample may have gotten mixed up when it was put aside. If not my salfert and Hanna are way off.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna ULR is showing 22ppb and 23 ppb on the two test I did. I haven't done a water change since I sent in the sample and I'm not running anything to reduce phosphates.
Any ideas?
How’s your tank look?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help!
I sent water samples to ICP last week but didn't add the Sample numbers on the app to the sample tubes. I got an e-mail explaining the Proper way to do it and I followed the directions and replied to the email with the sample numbers.
I just got my results today and I'm thrown by the phosphorus reading. 179.73 ppb which if I convert using the Hanna conversion chart formula translates to 0.551?
I immediately tested my water with Salifert and that shows 0 to 0.03 (leans more to zero)
Any ideas?
I'm thinking my sample may have gotten mixed up when it was put aside. If not my salfert and Hanna are way off.
Phosphorous is one of the elements that can trip up ICP vendors. I have seen whacko P concentrations too. Rely on your test kit for an accurate PO4 evaluation.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the ICP value is an error somehow, but tanks can also be great at that level or higher.

I'd go with the other two kit results.
Thanks for the reply Randy I will follow your advice. My tank is primarily SPS. Are you saying that .5 ppm Alkalinity or more would be okay if it were in fact that high? Please point me towards additional info on this.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back