High ppm all of sudden?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 6 stage rodi from bulk reef supply last week. It was 0ppm tds. Used it no issues. Now today decided to use it its givibg me 15ppm all of sudden. Anyone knows what could be the reason?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info rewuired
I literally didbt do anything. Or changed anything. I bought a booster pump dor it. Running 80 psi. I flushed the system for 5 min-10nin ran it. My tds is 12 ppm.i dont understand why.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: That’s how expensive this hobby is . You only get a weeks use out a RO system then you have to buy a new one lol!!! Kidding !!!
Is the container your catching the water in clean ? , are you testing with a good tds meter ?, are you testing the water directly out of the unit ?? Sometimes when it’s new you should run a few gallons out to clear out any stuff in the system . Flush it again and run about a gallon then check it again !
If your checking with the inline meters I would get a stand alone meter . Not to mention the two prongs that go into the fitting has to be a certain way to get a good reading . Personally because I don’t like them

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: That’s how expensive this hobby is . You only get a weeks use out a RO system then you have to buy a new one lol!!! Kidding !!!
Is the container your catching the water in clean ? , are you testing with a good tds meter ?, are you testing the water directly out of the unit ?? Sometimes when it’s new you should run a few gallons out to clear out any stuff in the system . Flush it again and run about a gallon then check it again !
Its clean yes. And i have tds meter built in the rodi itself. Showinf 13ppm. The DI is brown like fully brown. I dont know if that means its done. I literally got the rodi 2 weeks ago. And i only did 44 gallons from it. Is the DI done already?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its clean yes. And i have tds meter built in the rodi itself. Showinf 13ppm. The DI is brown like fully brown. I dont know if that means its done. I literally got the rodi 2 weeks ago. And i only did 44 gallons from it. Is the DI done already?
I wouldn’t think 44 gallons would exhaust your di .are you using it for well water and are you running it through a 1. Micron prefilter ,carbon , through the membrane , then into the di ?did you rinse the carbon block before you installed it ?sis you rinse it with tap water or RO water?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t think 44 gallons would exhaust your di .are you using it for well water and are you running it through a 1. Micron prefilter ,carbon , through the membrane , then into the di ?did you rinse the carbon block before you installed it ?
Thats what i have https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/6-st...ver-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply-bundle.html im guessing yes. And what do you mean well water? Its city water where i live. Like i said for 2 weeks. 0 tds. Now 15ppm do i have to flush it for more than 5-10min?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, 30 seconds to a minute to flush. Are all of your filter housings filling with water?
Thats the DI color. And the other 3 im assuming they are filling buti cant see clearly to see if there water inside or not.

Attachments

• 20220509_220508.jpg
    20220509_220508.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 34

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the membrane actually only a week old? Sudden increase in TDS is classic symptom of a spent RO membrane. Could be that you've got a seal broken (maybe the rubber O ring on the end of the RO catridge?). Probably worth contacting BRS to inquire about a replacement or what their diagnosis would be. Could be that the RO membrane never worked properly and it just took you a week to burn through the DI resin with the residual TDS.

And I don't think that too many will argue that higher ppm is fine when it comes to RODI. If your system is working properly, it should be zero or a couple of TDS, tops. If it was just an RO and your source water was high TDS, sure, and maybe some would still use it in their tank, but an RODI should read zero or close to it on the output if it's working correctly.

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 44 gallons of water you sure have some dirty water. I would change the filters and check again. The way I see it the water coming in is very dirty and taking the system down

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the membrane actually only a week old? Sudden increase in TDS is classic symptom of a spent RO membrane. Could be that you've got a seal broken (maybe the rubber O ring on the end of the RO catridge?). Probably worth contacting BRS to inquire about a replacement or what their diagnosis would be. Could be that the RO membrane never worked properly and it just took you a week to burn through the DI resin with the residual TDS.

And I don't think that too many will argue that higher ppm is fine when it comes to RODI. If your system is working properly, it should be zero or a couple of TDS, tops. If it was just an RO and your source water was high TDS, sure, and maybe some would still use it in their tank, but an RODI should read zero or close to it on the output if it's working correctly.
Does it matter if im filling with the booster on or off? Or i should 0 tds on both cases? I get 65 psi without booster pump. 80 with booster pump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back