High salinity survival

  • Thread starter Thread starter Asm481
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Asm481

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2022
Messages
304
Reaction score
281
Location
Kenosha
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will LPS corals specifically Duncan's survive a dip in high salinity in the neighborhood of 1.040. I am trying to evict a mantis or pistol shrimp and have some attached coras I would like to leave attached.
 
Revive? I have a shrimp in my rock and I want it out. It is boring holes all over even undermining corals!
 
A brief one, I would expect so, but I agree there are probably better ways to get it.

If you know it's in that rock, try lifting it out of the tank, leaving it in a bucket for like 30 seconds to a minute, then splashing it with tankwater (enough to only partly submerge it in the bucket), then lift the rock and swish it around to see if they bail out.

I got a couple of mantises out of my rockwork this way - basically they will retreat into their burrows for protection, but if you make it seem like they won't stay submerged, they'll run out to try to find deeper water the next time they get the chance.

Also worth mentioning that neither usually bores holes in rock (at least, not at any significant rate), so just having some kind of support structure going all the way through the sand will at least stop your corals/aquascape from shifting.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new