High silicon

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my triton test results back and my silicon jumped from 206 last month to 1566 this month. The only thing that I can think of that I am doing differently is that I set up a media reactor using BRS bulk biopellets. It’s on 24/7 with a skimmer. Would this cause the increase in silicon or should I be looking elsewhere?
I also bought a silicone hose from amazon for doing water changes last month for doing water changes.

OP
OP
A

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably 6 months but I was getting 0 on the TDS meter.
The DI stage is 1/2 brown.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my triton test results back and my silicon jumped from 206 last month to 1566 this month. The only thing that I can think of that I am doing differently is that I set up a media reactor using BRS bulk biopellets. It’s on 24/7 with a skimmer. Would this cause the increase in silicon or should I be looking elsewhere?
I also bought a silicone hose from amazon for doing water changes last month for doing water changes.
A silicone hose is unlikely to raise the silicon.

The TDS on your RO/DI water is zero and unless the TDS device is defective, the freshwater supply is not a source.

I have not come across anyone linking biopellets and an increased level of silicon. Besides, they are just a biodegradable plastic.

The salt you use can be a source of silicon (Actually silicate).

The ICP could be wrong. You will have noticed that no ICP vendor will guarantee the accuracy of the test results they send you. This means the first value could be wrong, or both values are wrong. I have noticed silicon to be one of the reported elements that is particularly variable. I would not let ICP results be the sole reason for an effort to reduce silicon.

OP
OP
A

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A silicone hose is unlikely to raise the silicon.

The TDS on your RO/DI water is zero and unless the TDS device is defective, the freshwater supply is not a source.

I have not come across anyone linking biopellets and an increased level of silicon. Besides, they are just a biodegradable plastic.

The salt you use can be a source of silicon (Actually silicate).

The ICP could be wrong. You will have noticed that no ICP vendor will guarantee the accuracy of the test results they send you. This means the first value could be wrong, or both values are wrong. I have noticed silicon to be one of the reported elements that is particularly variable. I would not let ICP results be the sole reason for an effort to reduce silicon.
My tank looks fine. I think you are correct that I received a bad test result. If however I do have hi silicone what would be the effects and what should I be looking for? I think my initial action plan will be to replace my RODI filters since they are 6 months old and probably due. I will continue my weekly 10% water changes and then in 1 month have another triton test done.
I assumed that triton was the gold standard for testing. Is there another lab that I should be alternating test results with?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank looks fine. I think you are correct that I received a bad test result. If however I do have hi silicone what would be the effects and what should I be looking for? I think my initial action plan will be to replace my RODI filters since they are 6 months old and probably due. I will continue my weekly 10% water changes and then in 1 month have another triton test done.
I assumed that triton was the gold standard for testing. Is there another lab that I should be alternating test results with?
Unless Triton has started to guarantee their test results, we cannot assume their results are better or worse than any other ICP vendor.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless Triton has started to guarantee their test results, we cannot assume their results are better or worse than any other ICP vendor.

FWIW, I have more confidence in them than some ICP labs. They have historically posted their detection limits and standard curves, for example.

TRITON ICP accuracies and limits of detection

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have more confidence in them than some ICP labs. They have historically posted their detection limits and standard curves, for example.

TRITON ICP accuracies and limits of detection
The link did not lead me to a document, but I am pretty sure that I have read this 2016 publication multiple times already. Triton’s calibration curves in the 2016 document indicate nothing about the reliability of their day to day results.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back