High tin and stumped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton test came back showing high tin level. I’ve taken apart everything in tank and can’t find a problem. Return pump, skinner, vortechs, ATO pump. No heater at the moment. There is a Neptune probe holder, one side is covered in plastic, the other side isn’t, how it’s made. It’s not in the water but above waterline. 43 g tank approx., Red Sea reefer 170, using their pvc and tubing. I use TMPro salt, stopped dosing Triton since it mentioned it could be caused by contaminated dosing products. Opened a new bottle of Flat Worm Stop by KZ, corals show improvement since using 1 ml daily. KZ Coral booster maybe 1 ml every week or two, feed reefroids, LRS reef frenzy for the clown. Any ideas? I have Pantha Lith that I can dose before water changes. Tank has been up almost a year, BB, rocks are getting covered in coraline, refugium with chaeto.

PaulK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low iron glass is made by floating the panels on liquid tin. Might be residue from the tank glass.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently you can also get it from the plastic pipework. However on an established tank doubtful. So many people seem to get Tin in their Triton tests....me amongst them. I had restarted a tank fresh, used TMPro as well. I switched to RedSea Blue and did some water changes and it has dropped.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that a salt brand to remain nameless has high Aluminum content so much so that it was red on the Triton test. New salt and problem solved, not saying that this is the same problem that you are having. I have been tempted mix up a batch of saltwater and send it for a triton test to see what it comes back to get a baseline.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had tin show up on Triton and ATI tests. I put in Curprisorb, did (3) 20% WC's over a week and my next Triton test came back at zero.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 87 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back