Highgrade's Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many watts is your UV Sterilizer? I'm using a 25w on a 40 breeder any my Dinos are pretty much gone. Still a few on the sand bed.

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many watts is your UV Sterilizer? I'm using a 25w on a 40 breeder any my Dinos are pretty much gone. Still a few on the sand bed.
Mine is only a 30w. Way too small for the tank. If anything it helps with some algae and keeps the water fairly clear. So far the copper has proved to work in my situation. Currently still running copper. No signs of dinos in weeks.

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations, those dinos are the devil. I'm considering the 500 peninsula but that's a lot of tank to maintain if I have a dino outbreak. The proper size UV will run around $700 but it may be worth it.

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations, those dinos are the devil. I'm considering the 500 peninsula but that's a lot of tank to maintain if I have a dino outbreak. The proper size UV will run around $700 but it may be worth it.
Thanks. Eventually I'll spend the coin on UV with higher wattage to prevent algae/dino/bacteria outbreaks down the road. Seems dinos is occurring at a higher rate in a lot of tanks right now.

Faraday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice choice with the peninsula tank. Sucks to hear about the Dinos. It does seem like you hear about the more now.

Just curious, did Red Sea want your old tanks back? I'm waiting on a replacement for my 425 and they never asked to send the old one back.

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice choice with the peninsula tank. Sucks to hear about the Dinos. It does seem like you hear about the more now.

Just curious, did Red Sea want your old tanks back? I'm waiting on a replacement for my 425 and they never asked to send the old one back.
At first they told me to keep them or dispose of them as I want. Eventually with the tanks, pallet materials and partial stands they arranged for a pickup since it was an inconvenience for me. Especially since the tanks were not trustworthy with their structural integrity. Not to mention the plumbing kits were around $300 for the RS 650P. They took care of me for the inconvenience though.

Faraday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first they told me to keep them or dispose of them as I want. Eventually with the tanks, pallet materials and partial stands they arranged for a pickup since it was an inconvenience for me. Especially since the tanks were not trustworthy with their structural integrity. Not to mention the plumbing kits were around $300 for the RS 650P. They took care of me for the inconvenience though.

That's good to hear. It's also why I went with Red Sea over a different brand.

Tmcgoo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the Varios 6 pump doing for you at this point? Just set up the peninsula 650 and have a Neptune Flow sensor on it, pump set at 4 setting and flow shows only 500gph, so a bit concerned this pump isn’t big enough. Also read your thread on the WAV pumps, have you tried running them in reverse to pull flow from opposite end of tank?

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the Varios 6 pump doing for you at this point? Just set up the peninsula 650 and have a Neptune Flow sensor on it, pump set at 4 setting and flow shows only 500gph, so a bit concerned this pump isn’t big enough. Also read your thread on the WAV pumps, have you tried running them in reverse to pull flow from opposite end of tank?
The Varios seems to be working for me on the 4th setting using a single RFG nozzle. If I go any higher or lower on the speed setting I cannot seem to get the plumbing to quiet down. So far to me it seems like decent flow. Interesting about the flow rate you see on the flow sensor. As for the WAVs I recently had both replaced under warranty right before the two year mark. They both died a couple weeks apart. I do run them in reverse at times but it doesn't seem to do much. Maybe they would if they sat lower in the tank. I run an MP40 at the opposite end so it helps with the flow on that side of the tank.

Tmcgoo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments, I had a WAV replaced as well at less than 2 years. We’ll see how it goes, my tank is cycling right now.

Rob.B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank: Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650 Black Stand
Return Pump: Reef Octopus Varios 6 in time this will be swapped for an Ecotech Vectra
Skimmer: Eshopps S200 Gen 4
Lighting: Radion XR30 pro x2 XR15 pro x 2 RMS mounts w/rail kit
Controller: Neptune Apex Classic
Wave Makers: Neptune WAV x2 and 1 Ecotech MP40 with Ecotech backup battery
ATO: AutoAqua Smart Micro ATO used with 10gal Trigger container integrated into RS stock 6gal float ATO.
Refugium light: Kessil H80 with gooseneck
Dosing pump: Bubble Magus T11
Rocks: 60lbs of Carib Sea shapes
Sand: 110lbs of Carib Sea Special grade dry sand
Salt: Red Sea Pro Corals

Custom polycarbonate lid

Livestock:
Tank will mainly be stocked with Wrasses.

Current list of fish on hand waiting to go into the tank.
These 3 are fine with each other. Even though they're in the same sub group. All 3 have been in two separate tanks together with no issues. Which those tanks were smaller. Though once added into the Peninsula I still will be cautious of the Plyei.
C. Rhomboid Supermale
C. Lineatus Supermale
C. Pylei transitioning Male

C.Ryukyensis "yellow flanked" male
C.Jordani Flame Supermale
Lubbock's transitioning Male
C. Exquisitus Vanatu Male
C. Isosceles Pintail Supermale
C.Laboutei transitioning Male - adding last due to possible Aggression issues

Bartlett Anthias Trio 1 male 2 females
Ember Blenny

Possible future additions:
Red Sea Regal Angel
Hawaiian Potters Angel
Halichoeres melasmapomus- earmuff wrasse
Anampses-feminus wrasse

Corals: Mainly SPS- Monti's/Acro's

Inverts: Scarlet reef hermits,Turbo snails, Trochus snails, Astraea snails, nassarius snails, fighting conch.

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

Love your build, I had ordered a 650?from my LFS should be here week after next. What length rail did you go with on top? I’m going to be running 4 X15 on top with diffusers.

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your build, I had ordered a 650?from my LFS should be here week after next. What length rail did you go with on top? I’m going to be running 4 X15 on top with diffusers.
Thank you. I believe the rail is 60.5"

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.8%
Back