Highgrade's Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank: Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650 Black Stand
Return Pump: Reef Octopus Varios 6 in time this will be swapped for an Ecotech Vectra
Skimmer: Eshopps S200 Gen 4
Lighting: Radion XR30 pro x2 XR15 pro x 2 RMS mounts w/rail kit
Controller: Neptune Apex Classic
Wave Makers: Neptune WAV x2 and 1 Ecotech MP40 with Ecotech backup battery
ATO: AutoAqua Smart Micro ATO used with 10gal Trigger container integrated into RS stock 6gal float ATO.
Refugium light: Kessil H80 with gooseneck
Dosing pump: Bubble Magus T11
Rocks: 60lbs of Carib Sea shapes
Sand: 110lbs of Carib Sea Special grade dry sand
Salt: Red Sea Pro Corals

Custom polycarbonate lid

Livestock:
Tank will mainly be stocked with Wrasses.

Current list of fish on hand waiting to go into the tank.
These 3 are fine with each other. Even though they're in the same sub group. All 3 have been in two separate tanks together with no issues. Which those tanks were smaller. Though once added into the Peninsula I still will be cautious of the Plyei.
C. Rhomboid Supermale
C. Lineatus Supermale
C. Pylei transitioning Male

C.Ryukyensis "yellow flanked" male
C.Jordani Flame Supermale
Lubbock's transitioning Male
C. Exquisitus Vanatu Male
C. Isosceles Pintail Supermale
C.Laboutei transitioning Male - adding last due to possible Aggression issues

Bartlett Anthias Trio 1 male 2 females
Ember Blenny

Possible future additions:
Red Sea Regal Angel
Hawaiian Potters Angel
Halichoeres melasmapomus- earmuff wrasse
Anampses-feminus wrasse

Corals: Mainly SPS- Monti's/Acro's

Inverts: Scarlet reef hermits,Turbo snails, Trochus snails, Astraea snails, nassarius snails, fighting conch.

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock design looks really good
Thanks again. The Carib Sea rocks are pretty nice. Easy to make different aquascapes and interlock them together so they're pretty stable without bonding them together.

markwelland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the scape and set up looks great. You going full triton?

I'm thinking of joining the reefer peninsula club so I will be keeping my eye on this thread.

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the scape and set up looks great. You going full triton?

I'm thinking of joining the reefer peninsula club so I will be keeping my eye on this thread.
Thank you for the kind words and following along.
Not sure on the Triton- eventually I may give it a try. I have a ton of the Red Sea Colors and A&B Coral Nutrition. Not to mention a ton of KZ products. I've had good results with the Red Sea line of products in several tanks. As for the KZ products not so much- Cyano and Dynos when I use KZ products and this was with smaller doses. I'm sure the KZ product work but they're potent. Currently dosing one of my LPS nano tanks with the KZ products with a combination of Vibrant to level things out a bit. So far it seems to be working pretty good.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Such a beautiful setup. Saw the 650 at my lfs. Very beautiful design only wish it was little shorter in height

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a beautiful setup. Saw the 650 at my lfs. Very beautiful design only wish it was little shorter in height
Thank you! The height was my only complaint. I can deal with it but it sure was a pain to lift the tank on the stand at that height. The extra room in the sump due to the stand height is nice too though.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah i wish they would put the 3” from the height to the width. I would be over it hahah. I love the 3/4” thick glass tho.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of these tanks! Very nice. I just have one concern... With the large peninsula tanks, do you think that little side of the tank provides adequate filtration and water flow on such a large tank? I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. Anybody else have a large peninsula that can chine in?

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of these tanks! Very nice. I just have one concern... With the large peninsula tanks, do you think that little side of the tank provides adequate filtration and water flow on such a large tank? I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. Anybody else have a large peninsula that can chine in?
As for adequate filtration I would say "yes" if not overstocked and ran with other filtration methods. As for flow I have the Reef Octopus Varios6 return pump. I played with the pump for days and it is on the 2nd speed setting which seems pretty low but dialed in just right- zero noise. I'm sure the pump could be cranked up and a Random flow nozzle used. I may add one in the future. The output isn't bad and the return flow is enough to filter through the 4 filter socks. So with that said I would say the filtration is adequate enough for me. I went with a larger skimmer due to the bio load and number of fish I'll be keeping. This should help with filtration. Once my nitrates are up I'll get my refugium going which should help control nutrients as well. Between this and a couple Media reactors (carbon/GFO or Biopellets) I would say things should be reasonably manageable since I feed heavily. Also nothing a large water change here and there couldn't fix.

As for flow with this tank the opposite end of the overflow will not suffice for my SPS needs. I have the MP40 at that end running at 60-90% on multiple different modes throughout the day. On the Return side I run two of the Neptune WAV's between 45-75% on various modes as well. With out the MP40 running at the opposite end I'd say the flow would be a bit stale on that end of the tank or any peninsula for that matter. Unless just a couple of Gyre's could create enough flow from the overflow end to reach the opposite end. Not sure I would go with Gyre's since I'm fond of Ecotech products. The WAVs are not bad but I've had my share of issues with them. Once the life of the WAV's are up I'll most likely replace with MP40s.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for adequate filtration I would say "yes" if not overstocked and ran with other filtration methods. As for flow I have the Reef Octopus Varios6 return pump. I played with the pump for days and it is on the 2nd speed setting which seems pretty low but dialed in just right- zero noise. I'm sure the pump could be cranked up and a Random flow nozzle used. I may add one in the future. The output isn't bad and the return flow is enough to filter through the 4 filter socks. So with that said I would say the filtration is adequate enough for me. I went with a larger skimmer due to the bio load and number of fish I'll be keeping. This should help with filtration. Once my nitrates are up I'll get my refugium going which should help control nutrients as well. Between this and a couple Media reactors (carbon/GFO or Biopellets) I would say things should be reasonably manageable since I feed heavily. Also nothing a large water change here and there couldn't fix.

As for flow with this tank the opposite end of the overflow will not suffice for my SPS needs. I have the MP40 at that end running at 60-90% on multiple different modes throughout the day. On the Return side I run two of the Neptune WAV's between 45-75% on various modes as well. With out the MP40 running at the opposite end I'd say the flow would be a bit stale on that end of the tank or any peninsula for that matter. Unless just a couple of Gyre's could create enough flow from the overflow end to reach the opposite end. Not sure I would go with Gyre's since I'm fond of Ecotech products. The WAVs are not bad but I've had my share of issues with them. Once the life of the WAV's are up I'll most likely replace with MP40s.

Being the tank has its filter on the whole side, which creates a benefit of sorts, couldn't you just put your powerheads on the opposite side to blow everything back towards the filter system/overflow? Like place the powerheads in the low to mid levels and the return pump just cruising across the top? Or it's not that cut and dry with these tanks?

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being the tank has its filter on the whole side, which creates a benefit of sorts, couldn't you just put your powerheads on the opposite side to blow everything back towards the filter system/overflow? Like place the powerheads in the low to mid levels and the return pump just cruising across the top? Or it's not that cut and dry with these tanks?
As for the peninsula I like the 3 sides to view with less obstruction. The 1 MP40 with the cord ran over the top of the Radion RMS mount/RMS rail is the cleanest look I could come up with. As for the Neptune WAVs on the opposite end they provide the extra flow my SPS will need. Between all the pumps I can get a pretty nice wave going back and forth. Overall circulation is not really a concern. I'd rather have it set up this way than take away from the view on the end with more pumps/cords in the way.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya on wire management. A peninsula style is definitely my next tank, but trying to figure out how to not make it unsightly by havin g2-3 cable dangling around on the far end to put flow back towards the overflow.

I don't have the space for the length of the 650, so custom is catching my attention however, as I would love something wide and shallow like 48x30x20.

Definitely going to follow this build though!

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I've been working with Red Sea on a replacement tank since the current tank has blemishes on the outside glass. Appears to be residue from the finishing/polishing of the glass. The glass appears to have what looks like water spots if you look at the right angle. You can feel the edges with your fingernail. I've tried removing with RO/DI water and vinegar. No luck. If I scrape it with a razor blade no difference. Almost appears as if it is etched or adhered to the glass like a sealant or glue. Either way I cannot get it off. I advised Red Sea I didn't want to damage the glass by further attempts of chemicals,scrubbing and scraping. Thus causing scratches, hazing,etc... Well I received my replacement tank and the rear seam by the overflow seemed questionable. Almost as if there is separation between the glass and silicone or air pockets in between the pieces. I explained to them after seeing a recent seam/seal failure on R2R I wasn't comfortable pulling the tank out of the crate and filling it with water. Once again Red Sea has stepped up and I should have a replacement tank by Wed. this holiday week.

Here are some pics of the 12-14" section that is questionable.

IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back