Hilarious Sacrilege.

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After upgrading from my original 50 gallon saltwater to my current 7 foot 220, it has greatly changed out home. As you'll see in the picture below, although I have a tank to look at, I have a lot of blank wall space above. I've wanted to put a piece of art there, and what could be better than what I've envisioned that I will explain below. This all starts with a small piece of art my brother had in his first bathroom in his first rented home back in Mississippi. I went down to visit him back in the early 2000s when I was still in college and he was in the Navy. I was actually allowed a special visit/cruise with the Navy called a Tiger cruise. I was aboard the USS Ticonderoga during its last sail from Virginia around Florida and back to its home port in Biloxi. My brother invited me, as I had the summer off, had always been a big fan of the Navy and I had 2 grandfathers that fought in the Pacific during WWII and never, ever would turn down such a unique experience. So the cruise went well, and we had a few days of R&R back at his apartment. In his bathroom, a previous girlfriend had decorated it with a small piece of art depicting plastic ducks in a tub, that said "We can't all be squeaky clean, but we can give it a quack". I know, its stupid, its a bad pun, but when you're drunk staring forward using the toilet, its always a humorous thing to me. A few years later he moved to Maryland, I finished college, but he moved that picture with him, and every time I'd visit it was always there. I'd use the same lame saying to annoy friends at work. I also made this convoluted story that tied back to that movie "Inception", where if I was ever caught in a dream within a dream, that saying "we can't all be squeaky clean, but we can give it a quack" would be the thing that would pull me at of the nightmare, or possibly a coma. So second story my wife, who is completely incapable of planning correctly and even worse executing any home project of any type, took it upon herself one afternoon to 'remodel' our bathroom. By 'remodel' she broke in place, then tore off the wall a mounted mirror, and a medicine cabinet. She had no plans of what to replace them with, but she did some unnecessary demo work, then looked at my when I got home like I was the idiot without a plan. Well I ended up fixing the drywall, repainting it, and replaced the mirror with a new medicine cabinet, but the area where the other medicine cabinet was, was right above the toilet, I had no good ideas of what to put there, and the drywall damage she had done, I couldn't repair very well, so it was a oddly repainted eyesore. Several months before Christmas my brother heard the story, noticed the blank space and contracted an artist friend of his to paint us something. Which you'll see below. I've never received a more thoughtful, original, or more pointedly amusing gift. I really love it. So, this all leads us to today. For months I've spent working on my tank, upgrading, equipment, adding fish and coral, all knowing what I want to go above it. If you've ever seen a picture Leonardo's depiction of the last supper you'll notice right away, its a very wide, but short piece of art. Its also something a lot of families have in their home. Now I will state I do consider myself a religious person, and go to church often, and am involved in all sorts of church activities. So this is not being done to offend anyone, I personally believe if God has anything in large amounts, its a sense of humor. So what I'm planning to have made, is a re imagined version of the last supper, with fish.. saltwater aquarium fish, possibly invertebrates, but that's my dilemma, done by the artist that did the original piece, she's already on board and has apparently started sketches. What do I pick, I've thought about this for months, one thing I've already ruled out is the half fish, half human thing, that would just be terrible. So I need some help, what fish would be the best pick for each of the actors, and mostly, what fish would Jesus be? We don't have to get all biblical and bizarre here, but I really want to put some thought into this. I would like it to be fish that I'm familiar with, and possible some of the fish I already have. The people depicted in the last support are listed below, taken directly from wikipedia. I'll also have my stock list, I'd appreciate any ideas, or options. Thank you.

From left to right, according to the apostles' heads:
Current stock list
2x Ocelarious Clown Fish
Niger Trigger
Coral Beauty Angel
Lawnmower Blenny
Multiple Damsels
Sailfin Tang
Scopas Tang
Foxface Rabbitfish
Valentini Pufferfish
Longhorn Cowfish
Yellow Blenny
Diamond Watchmen Goby
Royal Bi Color Gramma
Bagnai Cardinal Male
Green Chromies
Tailspot Blennt
Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse

20180827_173848.jpg
20180828_073250.jpg
350px-Giampietrino-Last-Supper-ca-1520.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judas as a blue devil damsel.
[emoji4]

Just curious.

Anthropomorphic fish (sooo not my first choice).
Can't picture doing a 'Last supper' a la 'dogs play poker' without it being pretty rude and tacky.
And I'm an atheist. Lol, I just try be polite as much as I can.

or

Fish simply posed in a fashion facing the directions in the picture. With a long white sand bed instead of a table? 'Table' surrounded by rocks or 'something' or raised a bit on an outcropping of rocks?
I'm just mentally trying to maintain the same negative space and proportions of the original.
Small starfish, etc as accessories on the 'table'?
Subtle rockwork with small openings in the background to flesh out/mimic the 'room'.

All fish in a reasonably similar size scale or, if you throw in a moorish idol, somewhere in the background behind 2 others, where it still kind of fits into the picture in scale.
Guessing you want to use familiar fish, so probably things that stay in a 3" to 8" size of fish. Bigger fish in the background?

Fish that might be similar in color to the robes on the apostles?
Or at least not too glaringly different. That part might be hard.

Something low key that obviously calls to mind the framing and spacing and proportions of the Last supper for anyone familiar with the painting, without being obnoxious about it, would look pretty awesome.

I don't think that would be considered rude.

Not touching what fish plays Jesus!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back