Hippo tang behaving weird

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Have a pair of hippo tangs for 2 years now and one of them is behaving strange of late. They are in a 650 gallon 10 foot system so swimming room is not an issue. One of them keeps coming to one specific spot in front and swims like he’s trying to come through the glass. He does this all the time during the day everyday. Eats well and will go to area where my automatic feeder drops food when it’s time for food. Will seek out his mate to play and also spawn regularly (just spawned again last night).
Sometimes he will swim from that spot to top of surface and skim bubbles and come back down blowing bubbles. Other one swims around whole tank with my other fish.
Anyone else have this happen to them or is it just that I have a weird one? Have a video from iPhone but can’t seem to get it to attach and play in post.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Have a pair of hippo tangs for 2 years now and one of them is behaving strange of late. They are in a 650 gallon 10 foot system so swimming room is not an issue. One of them keeps coming to one specific spot in front and swims like he’s trying to come through the glass. He does this all the time during the day everyday. Eats well and will go to area where my automatic feeder drops food when it’s time for food. Will seek out his mate to play and also spawn regularly (just spawned again last night).
Sometimes he will swim from that spot to top of surface and skim bubbles and come back down blowing bubbles. Other one swims around whole tank with my other fish.
Anyone else have this happen to them or is it just that I have a weird one? Have a video from iPhone but can’t seem to get it to attach and play in post.
Load the video to youtube and post a public link.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kole tang that does something similar, and I assume it is seeing its reflection and is defending its territory. Awesome on the spawning!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back