Hippo tang/bloody tail

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am wrapping up a few fish going thru qt, between transfers for observation, I did a 50 minute formalin dip, at .8ml per gallon 37% formalin (quick cure)

At the end of the dip, couldn’t help but notice his tail appeared bloody. Almost like a red mucous falling off. Upon closer look, looks like little red pits (almost like acne) on base of his tail.

Fish has been thru 2 weeks of copper, metroplex and prazi pro.

I don’t think this is a disease, but could formalin cause this?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post a picture?

The dose is a tad high... and the dip a tad long, I've not used formalin much myself but I think it's 30-45 mins TOPS. And the dosage noted in the treatment options link is .6ml per gallon. See below:

When using 37% formaldehyde dosages are as follows for marine environments above 70°F (otherwise follow directions on the product’s label):
1) In-tank treatment: 1 milliliter (ml) per 10 gallons, or 2 drops per gallon daily in a bare aquarium.
2) 30-45 minute bath treatment: 0.6 ml per gallon, or 12 drops per gallon. Aerate vigorously and treat at this concentration for no more than 45 minutes.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried many different camera angles, doesn’t come close in picture to what I am seeing.

He is in a 15 gallon Rubbermaid, the reflections make the 20 pictures I took very blurry.

I’ll do my best to describe, right at base of tail, where it is still yellow, looks swollen, much thicker than rest of the body.On one side look like red dabs, cuts or sores if you
Will.

Tail is favoring one side, not really propelling fish they water

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think clean water, good food, and perhaps antibiotics just in case/to ward off infection. Without seeing it, I can only assume it's a chemical reaction and I'm hesitant to suggest additional chemicals as the solution :/

Perhaps @HotRocks @4FordFamily @Humblefish have heard of a fish reacting this way to formalin? Perhaps there was a small wound already there that became agitated and inflamed? I know you aren't supposed to use formalin on fish with open wounds...

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t use formalin in wounded fish, didn’t see anything there prior to dip. Not ruling it out, just didn’t see it.

He’s in clean water, prazi pro and Sulfaplex . Air bubbles and air pump at surface of water

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so I'm clear on the timelines... you said he had two weeks of copper, metroplex, and prazipro. How many total doses of prazipro has he had? Is he now in his second dose? And how much time between doses?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so I'm clear on the timelines... you said he had two weeks of copper, metroplex, and prazipro. How many total doses of prazipro has he had? Is he now in his second dose? And how much time between doses?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhhh duplicate posts... not sure what happened here? Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks straight in copper. Formalin dip every other transfer for clean tank (avoid ammonia build up. Three rounds of prazi, first , first second and third transfer. First two prazi treatments weee Via general cure

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today turned the worst. Woke up and he was stuck to my mini power head. Turned it off, he is swimming all erratically, trying to jump out of the water .

Is in clean water, antibiotics, well aerated. My guess is he will be gone by days end

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about this.

Hippo’s are one of my favorite.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks straight in copper. Formalin dip every other transfer for clean tank (avoid ammonia build up. Three rounds of prazi, first , first second and third transfer. First two prazi treatments weee Via general cure

I’m trying to think of how to put this delicately, as I mean to only be helpful.

That is A LOT of chemicals. In a rather short period of time. Formalin is very harsh on fish, I wouldn’t suggest doing repeated dips prophylactically. Or really at all, unless you are dealing with a resistant strain of flukes or there is some other reason the fish won’t tolerate other, gentler methods. Praziquantel only needs two doses, 5-7 days apart to be effective. Add therapeutic copper into the mix...

I’m going to leave this link here, it’s a good proven prophylactic QT process that will be much easier on your future additions:

My Current QT Process
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ds/My-Current-QT-Process.483371/&share_type=t

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to think of how to put this delicately, as I mean to only be helpful.

That is A LOT of chemicals. In a rather short period of time. Formalin is very harsh on fish, I wouldn’t suggest doing repeated dips prophylactically. Or really at all, unless you are dealing with a resistant strain of flukes or there is some other reason the fish won’t tolerate other, gentler methods. Praziquantel only needs two doses, 5-7 days apart to be effective. Add therapeutic copper into the mix...

I’m going to leave this link here, it’s a good proven prophylactic QT process that will be much easier on your future additions:
Did you mean to add this link or another? I didn't see a link ;)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

Also, I agree with her whole-heartedly.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Current QT Process
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020&share_tid=483371&url=https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/My-Current-QT-Process.483371/&share_type=t

No need to be delicate, rather hear it like it is.

Never would have thought copper with Prazipro, with formalin twice
In between transfers would be considered a lot.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's everything together. Formalin dosage a bit high and dip a bit long, frequent dips, an extra prazi-pro dose, copper, and add in the tank transfers which can also be a bit stressful. It's cumulative.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose you are correct, just trying to gather all info and do what’s best in my circumstances.

Personally hate transfers, but the ammonia build up in a single tank was lethal.

He is still alive, laying sideways, and parts of his body is missing, almost like flesh eating bacteria in a human. Parts that were definitely intact last night, something is decaying him quick.

Considering I used copper, formalin, prazi the works, I am ruling out a pest, and the fish in there with him went into my tank today. They went 14 days straight in copper, so ich and velvet should not be on them, as well as flukes, brook uro etc shouldn’t be either from formalin, metro in general cure and prazi .

Thinking this is an extreme bacterial infection the hippo got, and the formalin exacerbated it

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didn’t make it. Went from seemingly normal fish yesterday, to this less than 24 hours later.

You can see major tissue missing around the base of his tail, no clean up crew or a fish that would do that to him .

Puzzling

8087EE1D-1907-46D3-B1B9-EF7FA0F67E13.jpeg

072C0B56-96B7-4C2D-999F-7240DD791697.jpeg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss :( It does look like it could have been bacterial. They sometimes come on very quickly...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other.

Back